rewiring the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys this is my first post so go easy!!!!!!!!

i am getting the kitchen rewired and i am doing all the chasing for it....

i was just wandering how does the single sockets without switch( you just plug the fridge in for instance) that are located beneath the worktop for apliances are wired? the switch for these sockets are above the worktop beside the appliance.

do these sockets run off the normal ring main, say a double socket then the SINGLE APLLAINCE SOCKET and then off to say another double socket..with a wire for the SINGLE APPLIANCE SOCKET just running above the worktop?

is this called a fused connection unit?

cheers in advance!

Sponsored Links
This is my first reply too.
Yes, they are called fused connection units, commonly known as switched-fused-spurs (sfs). You insert them into your ring main, not necessarily next to a socket, but this is usually useful.

You use a single cable to drop vertically below the counter to an unswitched socket. So there will be 3 cables in the sfs and one in the single socket. If you put your socket box at 1050mm from the floor to the bottom of the box, it will be in just the right place (i.e. 6" above counter top). Make sure you put the cable in plastic conduit, or under plastic capping. It is good practice for an electrician to run the sfs supplying a fridge or freezer to its own fuse, which isn't RCD protected, using a radial (not ring) circuit. This is to avoid the RCD tripping whilst you are on holiday and you come home to find everything defrosted! A radial circuit will have one cable into the sfs and one to the single socket. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back