Rewiring the kitchin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Would appreciate some answers to some questions I have. I am rewiring my kitchen

1. How high above the work surface do the socket have to be ? mine are 45mm.

2. The cable behind the work units can I just clip them to the wall or do they need to be in conduit. All cable will be run within the zones.

3. I want to put another double socket in the conservatory there is already one out there on the main house ring main but I can’t spur off of this one. Can I spur off the kitchen ring and if so how long can the cable run be ? I could include it in the kitchen ring if that is better. Also the cable will be going though the cavity wall to get out to the conservatory so do I need to protect it ?

4. I am going to put a 20A DP switch in the ring main above the work surface to supply a switched double socket below the work surface. I am planning to plug a Dish washer and washing machine into this will that be ok ?

Sponsored Links
Mascard said:
Hi

Would appreciate some answers to some questions I have. I am rewiring my kitchen

1. How high above the work surface do the socket have to be ? mine are 45mm.

45mm is too low, they will get splashed. 250mm would be better although there are no regs that govern the height

2. The cable behind the work units can I just clip them to the wall or do they need to be in conduit. All cable will be run within the zones.
Yes you can, no need for conduit

3. I want to put another double socket in the conservatory there is already one out there on the main house ring main but I can’t spur off of this one. Can I spur off the kitchen ring and if so how long can the cable run be ? I could include it in the kitchen ring if that is better. Also the cable will be going though the cavity wall to get out to the conservatory so do I need to protect it ?
If you've got a dedicated Kitchen ring it's not good practice to spur from this although there are no regs to say you can't. Also the Kitchen ring is generally well loaded so you would do better to spur it off the ground floor ring if thats possible

4. I am going to put a 20A DP switch in the ring main above the work surface to supply a switched double socket below the work surface. I am planning to plug a Dish washer and washing machine into this will that be ok ?

Wonderful, that's the correct method.

Mascard said:

It would be preferable to have a switch above, and a single socket below, for each appliance. Both the ones you mention have heating elements and draw high current, a double socket can overheat wihen they are both running at the same time.

Sponsored Links
The kitchen will be on its own ring main.

John is that 1 DP switch with a spured single socket and the spur from that single socket to a 2nd single socket

or

do I need 2 DP switches with each spurring to a single socket

I would prefer the first option.

As for the spur off of the kitchen ring into into the conservatory I don't think I have much choice other than digging a 10 foot trench in the concrete for, but do I have to protect the cable when it goes through the cavity ?

Each appliance should have its own socket below and its own switch above. You can run the switches in the same row as the sockets above the worktop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back