RHI only eligible through MCS installer directly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a property that we've had renovated by a building contractor. This included replacing an LPG boiler with an air source heat pump. When I asked for the MCS Installation certificate so that I could apply for the RHI scheme it created panic with the builder and their subcontract heat pump installer. We are now being told that we should have dealt directly with the MCS installer in order to qualify for RHI payments. They say that our application would be refused if the paperwork shows that we paid a builder who then paid the installer. They are even proposing to issue credit notes and new invoices etc to change the paper trail.

Surely this is a misunderstanding of the RHI requirements?

Sponsored Links
Why, it should only cause panic if the installer wasn't MCS accredited and couldn't issue a certificate. When qualifying tech is installed and commissioned then a certificate would be issued to the recipient (to you). Can't see why it should have anything to do with the builder. There's nothing held on the cert that would identify the builder nor is it asked for as part of the application process as far as I am aware.

Keep hold of your paperwork from them ......you keep the paper trail .......I smell a rat !

As I understand it, the person who commissions the appliance needs to be MCS. I'm yet to do one myself, but my UFH supplier offers a commissioning & form-filling service for RHI/MCS purposes on both ASHP and GSHP units for people who aren't MCS. They do like to know in advance of supplying the kit that they'll be expected to do this though.

I suspect nobody on your site is MCS accredited and you'll end up trying to find a third party willing to sign it off for you, which might be tricky

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your input. As a result I've pressed the builder for an explanation. He says that the installer is MCS certified but can only issue a certificate naming the builder as the customer not me. The installer is saying that his contract is with the builder and therefore the certificate should name him.

Oh please, whilst I understand that strictly speaking the customer is the builder and not you personally, I am sure the scheme is setup in such a way that those types of situation can be adapted to. It would be ridiculous if that couldn't be sorted out.

I'd be insisting that you are supplied with the installers MCS credentials, (do you know the installers company name, if so you can do a look up on the MCS website) and then contact MCS themselves to confirm the information and what can be done to ensure you are named as the customer.

You should have received a commissioning pack with the MCS Compliance Certificate and the Gem Serv MCS Notification Certificate included. The builder would have received a copy of these plus all the other bits of paper this scheme requires. The compliance certificate and MCS Notification Certificate will have your address, these bits of paper plus a recent EPC certificate would be required to apply for the RHI. As this is a retrofit installation and not a newbuild bought off a developer, I see no reason why it shouldn't be accepted by OFGEM for RHI.

Under the current regs, to qualify for RHI the contract should be between the homeowner and the commissioning company. This includes all the paperwork right from initial contact through to commissioning.
We have recently jacked in MCS because it's such an awful scheme to work with.
We still fit ASHP but advise the customer that there will be a fee payable at the end of the job to our ASHP supplier, the suppliers have all the paperwork to be able to put the file together and the final payment from the customer ensures they have a 'contract' with the commissioning company.

Just for the record, you can submit a claim without a final commissioning certificate as long as you can prove its fitted to spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back