convert unvented cylinder to heat bank with combi and PV immersion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've been studying this and other forums for months off and on and putting all the ideas into a do it all system. I am posting my plans for fitting a heat bank to a combi boiler using a converted 300L unvented cylinder for comments / suggestions and probably ridicule.
First a bit of background.
We are having an extension built which will include 2 additional mixer showers giving a total of 3 or possibly 4 in the future, wet underfloor heating throughout and we have had a 4KW solar PV system installed of which most of the power is going back to the grid but I'm only paid for 50% which is a bit grinding. The combi will not allow more than 1 outlet to be used without reducing performance considerably.
The boiler we have is a BIASI Riva advance HE 32KW (M110B.32SM/C) which has been surprisingly reliable for the past 4 years
I consider that a heat bank will solve most of the problems above in one hit and as I have an Ariston 300L (contract STI 300 indirect) unvented cylinder sitting in my garage I`m looking at converting it at minimal cost. The primary heat source will be the immersion through one of those boxes of tricks that only uses the electricity that would go back to the grid.
For the record I`m a Part P sparks with plenty of heating control experience and have worked with a mate who's a gas safe plumber for a couple of years so I`m not exactly clueless but my plumber mate has no heat bank or thermal store experience so I`m asking for comments from those with a bit more real life experience with them.
Before I start I am aware of the keep PV as electric argument and that gas is 3 times cheaper etc but batteries are hardly eco friendly when you have to change them every 10 years and if the DNO actually bought meters that could measure PV return current and didn't buy back at less than a quarter of what they sell you electric for per KW, or if I had to buy a heat bank for £3k, I wouldn't be considering this.
That said gas is a dwindling / global warming source of energy and it takes the same power to heat water using either gas or electric; in fact electric water heating is near 100% efficient when gas has heat losses in the exhaust, etc. So I`m still helping to save the planet in my own little way.
Battery storage is an option but I`m waiting for price to come down and batteries to be a bit more long lasting. Until then this is how I intend on using my excess PV power.
I am including gas heating of the store for the dark winter months whilst keeping the increased flow rates required for the showers along with instantaneous combi water heating for the occasional use when we've got a cold tank but the sun is on its way.
I was looking at the problems of mixing a pressurised / sealed heating system with a vented tank and have seen systems with external accumulators, additional pumps etc and I thought why not just use the combi system but keep the return at the delivery temperature via the tank coil so the boiler doesn't fire up unless the tank is under temp.
I'm looking at pre-warming the cold water inlet to the DHW to the boiler so that is more efficient (my boiler wont accept hot water apparently) but I got the impression they (BIASI) don't want to leave themselves open to legionnaires claims and refuse to provide any information on CW inlet temperatures. I`m thinking of a prewarm to 30`C which I can't see hurting anything and legionnaires is not an issue as I`m not storing it.
I am using blending valves and keeping pump speeds low to reduce the return flows as far as possible to reduce turbulence in the tank.
Ok so how am I going to do it?
If you look at the schematic I`ll try to talk you through it.

I think the DHW is fairly standard except the tank stat opens and closes the 2 port motorised valves to allow hot water from the tank through a plate heat exchanger the cold water is preheated through a 2nd preheat plate heat exchanger to reduce the return temperature to the bottom of the tank and preheating the combi feed water and the feed to the main plate heat exchanger so a smaller exchanger can be used. The DHW circuit is a direct feed using the hot water in the cylinder to gain maximum heat from the tank. The heating circuit pump is triggered by a flow switch when you open the tap, this flow switch is situated after the combi supply so the preheat works for the combi water even if the tank is not hot enough to heat the water on its own and the combi will use less gas.

The heating is a bit more unusual. There is a 3 position electrical switch (manually operated) ; the positions are `heat rads` - summer position, used when we are confident there will be sun to warm the tank by the immersion the next day; the next is `heat tank` so we have manually decided to heat the tank up as we don't think the sun will be good tomorrow or the sun has not heated it today and we need more than 1 shower in use; the last is `auto` or the winter setting, where the tank stat will heat up the tank using the boiler whenever it cools down to the temperature set on the tank stat.
so there are 3 modes, the first we'll look at is heating with a hot tank.
The boiler receives the heating demand from the room stat and begins the ignition sequence and starts the internal pump. hot water is circulated from the tank through the open motorised valve `a`(SOV `b` is shut) and into the return of the boiler, the boiler will sense the hot water and stop the ignition of the burner, the burner may have already lit by then if everything has cooled down which is a pain but what can you do? (I'm not going to muck around with the boiler extending the time delay between the pump and the ignition start.) The pump will circulate the water around the rads and as SOV `b` is shut it will pass through the coil from bottom to top where it will once again enter the return of the boiler. I've just realised that it needs another blending valve before the return to limit the radiator temperature, I'll blend it with the radiator return where the direction arrows are shown.

Ok now we'll go through a direct combi boiler feed so the tank is under temperature but it's not worth heating 300 litres by gas as the sun will heat it in the morning so the electrical switch is in the summer - heat rads position. The same thing happens and all the valves are in the same positions but the boiler will now sense the return is under the temperature required and fire the boiler, on the way back from the rads the still hot return water will pass through the coil of the cold tank, heating the tank water and ensuring the boiler is condensing. If the tank gets heated by the immersion during this operation the boiler will sense the temperature rise and the boiler will turn off the burner.

The final mode is the heat tank setting, the 3 port valve will turn to open the top of the coil to the boiler output, SOV `a` will shut and SOV `b` will open the flow though the coil will now go from top to bottom extracting as much heat from the water as possible and returning directly to the boiler return through SOV `b`. The return water from the rad circuit will not be able to flow backwards as the 3 port valve will be shut at the front end. If heating is demanded by the room stat the 3 port valve will go to the mid point opening the tank coil and the radiator circuit at the same time, the return from the rads and the return from the bottom of the coil will both flow back to the boiler return through SOV `b`.

Ok so that's how I think it will work but if you've got this far please let me know if you see any problems with the design.
One question i have is the unvented tank has no bleed point, the manual shows an inclined feed tube as I`ve shown but I'm a bit concerned that all the air will not be expelled causing problems, I`m putting the bleed on a long pipe to act as an air collector which can be bled but I also thought of cutting a valve in the top of the tank but how would I attach a flange reliably?

Also I took this diagram from another post and it shows the pump after the heat exchanger, I would have thought it better to push the water rather than sucking it through or am I wrong?

Any assistance on the size, type or best places to get Plate heat exchangers from would be massively welcome.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has spent the time to get this far and makes any suggestions to put my mind at rest.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Best of luck with that.

So, all this complexity - when by simply connecting the Ariston's immersion to a triac based PV immersion controller, you can heat your Hot Water by PV when it is needed.

As the PV will, at best, reduce around 10% of your gas bill by doing only the above, what improvement in % are you expecting your design to liberate over and above this?

Bearing in mind most households only use 20% of their gas bill to generate their hot water on an annualised basis.

Electric heating is 100% efficient as we all know (I'm an electrician as well as a gas tech); my toaster and kettle are also 100% efficient. I save the planet every time I use them (not). A gas boiler is 92% efficient but the fuel costs a third as much. You will know that nearly all our electricity in the UK is produced by gas, at an efficiency of around 45%. And that PV contributes precisely nothing to the peak load the UK experiences at 8pm, when the sun has moved elsewhere.

Finally, you have a pretty grim boiler and a cheapo glass lined cylinder. Ariston make some quite nice cylinders but anything that is labelled 'contract' in the H&V world is cheap crap. Using it as a heat bank therefore is probably not the best idea; if you want a heat bank, its best to buy a product designed as such. A Joule TS2 has the plate and the controls already on it, and is stainless steel to boot.

To sum up my personal opinion of your plan; misguided.

Last edited:
In summer, when heating just the hw, my gas bill (usage) is about 25p a day
(plus standing charge)

If solar halved my hw gas cost, that would be 12p a day.

Would I pay thousands to save 12p a day?

No.

Even the £200 cost of a Immersun or similar would take years to recoup.

Sponsored Links
I've just converted my vented cylinder to a thermal store, as it was a relatively low cost option. It's satisfactory but an unvented would perform better and be simpler. So I don't get why the extraordinary level of complication? I'm sure maintenance costs alone would wipe out any savings you would achieve.

****in hell, imagine doing a breakdown on that in 15 years time after the property has changed owners.

Well I did expect the ridicule! :eek:

Thanks for all the constructive replies guys & girls, the whole point of this is its going to cost me next to nothing comparatively. which is probably why the local dealer and fitter doesn't approve.

I am doing this because I need to serve 3 to 4 mixer showers, a bath, and 7 sinks/basins.

To get an off the shelf system with a system boiler would cost about £6K with fitting and every system has its disadvantages.

My plan is going to cost me about £300- £400 including the inhibitor depending on what the plate exchangers cost.

The cylinder was free including the heater, expansion tank and stat.

The motorised valves I've got in my garage as well as a blending valve or 2 left over from other jobs over the years.

The immersun was thrown in to seal the PV deal.

The only things I've got to buy are the heat exchangers, a flow switch and a few meters of copper and any connectors I don’t have stock of.

There are 5 of us in the house and we all shower twice a day, we currently pay over £60 a month on gas and £60 on electric (still waiting for the first quarterly bill with the solar but as it's winter I'm not holding my breath).

Just eliminating the short cycling of the boiler and keeping it condensing will improve efficiency and reduce wear on my `grim` boiler.

Whatever the PV will produce still saves money rather than heating by the gas and I don't need to heat half a tank if the tank goes cold half way through the evening.

I notice you're all quoting DHW only figures whereas this system will provide the heating store as well.

The stainless tank sounds lovely but when the whole system is full of inhibitor what exactly do you think is going to rust?

If anyone can please confirm my design would work, confirm how these tanks get rid of the air in the top of the cylinder and suggest plate heat exchanger specifications then I would be most appreciative.

Tim

Just because you have the bits in the garage doesn't mean you need to use them. Designing a system around what you have rather than what is needed is not a good way to design a system. What you are proposing is probably going to work but the complexity will be a big drawback in the future when it needs some attention.

Keep it simple for ease of service and fewer items to go wrong.

Showers, my shower is mains pressure heated by a coil inside the vented hot water cylinder, I had considered a plate exchanger with a pump to circulate hot water from cylinder through the plate and went as far as buying one, but dismissed it due to the problems of clogged plates developing and the need to run a pump when having a shower. It is a bespoke cylinder but bought direct from the manufacturer it cost no more than a similar sized off the shelf cylinder. Being vented it has no requirement for safety devices that required regular testing.

What you have is an unvented cylinder. Just use it as that and heat it with the solar when the sun is out and the gas during the winter.

That is simple and all you need.

You don't even need the £200 solar controller. Just a simple light operated switch to power the immersion when the sun is shining brightly.

As said the £200 cost would take ages to recoup!

You will then have a standard unvented system.

Tony

Hi Bernard and Tony, Thanks for your replies, I completely agree with what you say but it will be me who fixes it, we're never leaving this house and I`m doing the best I can with what is available, and as I completely agree this will not produce massive savings I am unwilling to pay out significant sums to get the extra flow to the showers.
I thought I'd mentioned in my original post but it must have got lost in the editing but the tank is of no use as a unvented cylinder any more, the electrical anode stopped working and was totally seized in and could not be replaced, the plumber changed the tank for this and it would not pass as servicable for pressurised use. I have pressure tested it and it is fine for use as a vented store, no leaks, the water runs clean and there is no scale.
As the coil has been used with inhibitor I can't use it for water directly to the shower and without an anode the tank needs the inhibitor so it has to be a PHE design.
I can simplify it a lot by having just one PHE but then I would lose the combi preheat which will save gas all winter and it lowers the return temp back to the tank and maintains the statification.
I can also lose the reverse flow through the coil to lower the return temp to the boiler but for the sake of a couple of motorised valves why not?
The main area I could simplify is to lose the blending valves except for the final water temp but then I`ll be constantly playing with pump flows to keep it all stable.
Using the existing boiler to supply the heating circuit has already simplified the circuit compared to some I`ve seen and the burner will only light when the return temperature through the tank drops.
It looks more complicated on paper than what it will be in practice and I've gone through the fault diagnosis steps if any single valve goes wrong and I know what effects various failures would have on the system so diagnosis should be no real issue.
I actually started off having a simple immersion only heat source feeding into the cold feed to the boiler via a single PHE but the inability of the boiler to accept higher temperature mains water (or lack of confirmation from BIASI as to inlet temperatures) has complicated things. Having a single immersion fed by PV would never heat the tank on its own so it has grown to this which will supply the flows required to the showers, use the PV and keep the boiler in condensing mode when it is required.

Just standard 22mm 2 port motorised zone valves and a flow switch if you mean c, d and FS on the diagram. with a blending valve after the PHE.

Hi Bernard and Tony, Thanks for your replies, I completely agree with what you say but it will be me who fixes it, we're never leaving this house and I`m doing the best I can with what is available,

But it is not the best you can!

The best is that which costs least and saves most.

That will be an unvented cylinder heated by surplus PV generation and supplemented by gas heating during the winter.

Tony

I've never put on on mains water before, I am unsure of their suitability.

Hmm, I've seen the zone valves used in this way before and don't see any problem, I know some of the cheapo`s are not full bore but I'm sure the ones I have are, I'll check. Thanks for the question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back