Ridge tile repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We live in a 5yr old new build and this afternoon the entire row of ridge tiles on the front roof came crashing to the ground - thankfully no one was walking past at the time. I think I have posted a pic above if I have done it correctly!

A roofer who lives on the street took one look from ground level and said immediately they have used too much sand in the mix and the top ones running across the roof look no better and look different from the next door neighbours.

I have a horrible feeling we will have a fight on our hands with the builder and / or NHBC as from what I've read online their warranty is not worth much after 2yrs (does anyone know anything about this in relation to roofs - need to call NHBC on Mon). Our home insurance won't cover either.

Does anyone have an idea if builder / NHBC won't cover what sort of costs we are looking at to fix this? The roofer mentioned needing scaffolding due to slope of roof etc.

Is it normal for this to happen on a 5yr old house? Surely they should last longer than this!!

Sponsored Links
Yes it should last longer than 5 years, there should have been an angle iron at the bottom securing the bottom tile in place and so preventing a knock on effect of the other tiles coming off.

You won't get anywhere with home builder but your insurance might cover it if it has been windy in the last week or so. Tell them they blew off in a gust of wind.

Rubbish but unfortunately for you I will be surprised if you have any joy getting them to put it right I have been to too many jobs on substandard new builds.

How come they are fixing wet hips/ridges on a new build - is that still an acceptable practice in some areas? And where was the hip iron?

OP, the NHBC is not looking out for you the "consumer" with the warranty etc. or safeguarding the builder even. The NHBC is out to guard its own interests and maximise its own profits.
They have lots of big bucks and a big legal resource. They know every trick in the book for delaying and wearing you out - emotionally and financially.
They are not your friends.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies - I think you've confirmed what I thought about getting anywhere with builder / NHBC even thought their policy says between 3-10yrs they cover the structure including the roof I'm sure they will wheedle their way out of it.

Does anyone have a rough idea of costs for this sort of job?

I just hope they don't find anything else wrong up there as well :confused:

New hip tiles. clean tiles, hip iron, s&c and labour £500(ish)
Definitely get the ridges checked.

A site down road from me have just had repairs done to valleys and verges due to cement falling out and they were built just under 10 years ago,so the 10 year warranty is good so Deffo ring them up and claim, you shouldn't have to claim on your house insurance
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back