Roof damage on several new properties-Sheffied

Thank you woody,

I agree with you. I have asked the builder for the report as they were going to charge me for it :)

Mr H

Please accept my apologies if my previous email upset you, please rest assured this was not my intention and the questions I asked were purely to try and establish the facts as I was not present at the time.

Firstly let me assure you that GH Regional Director of Avonside Roofing has severely reprimanded both his staff members that attended your property for their unprofessional approach to the situation. However please try and understand their position that they were asked to carry out any repairs necessary and report back to Bellway their client and were uncomfortable giving a verbal report to yourself.

Having received their report they have concluded that " the ridge is in sound condition in my opinion the reason the end ridge became dislodged was the high winds"

They the go on to comment on the cracked mortar on the gables " The mortar on the gables has cracked in places, I would say this is due to shrinking when drying out" and as such is not causing a structural fault.

Having received a report from the original contractor who carried out the work and also an independent third party report which both suggest that the roof of your property is in accordance with NHBC standards we can only conclude that the exceptionally inclement weather caused the fault to your roof.

We are prepared to accept the cost of the repair on this occasion as a gesture of good will due to the bad experience you have suffered.

Please rest assured you are in no danger of any reprisals from the incident from any of either Bellway or Avonside Roofing staff.

Regards

CK
Commercial Manager

my reply :
Thank you for explanations and reassurance.
Would it be possible to send me the copy of the report ?
I am not a builder, but from what I saw on our properties, there is a something wrong going on.

Can you please confirm the recent job (including original roof installation) has been done according the manufacturer instruction and BS standards ?
Kind Regards,
D

I contacted the manufacturer before and what they said after seeing my pics, that according to BS 5534 the ridge tiles have to be mechanically fixed every 900mm.
I couldn't find BS5534 free on the web, but found the link with the similar problem
http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips12.htm
I would like to know if a mechanical fixing means a verge clip as well ?

Do you think the ridge battens are required by BS 5534 or just recommended ? We don't have them on our roofs and by checking manufacturer's website, that's the only way how to secure the ridge tiles using screws.
http://www.sandtoft.co.uk/tiles/technical-support/brochure-downloads/file-download/?Articles=|113

I have updated phots on http://halamka.netfirms.com/ Pics 13-17

Sponsored Links
This might not be much help as i can't remember the full details but i'm sure there was a similar case to this reported on the BBC's North West Tonight news channel where lots of ridge tiles were coming off on a fairly new housing development. I'm sure this was within the last 12 months so it may be worth contacting NWT and see if they have any details on which housing company it was and if they know what came of it?

Sponsored Links
In doing my own work I always stipple coat that board with SBR/mixed with sharp sand and cement. This provides long lasting adhesion.

Alex

Corrie,

I know this is an old post but how do you apply the stipple coat and how long do you leave it to dry before mortar bedding the verge tiles? I'm not using a stipple coat at present and I'm getting hairline cracks between the mortar and the cement board, so I'd like to try this stipple coat method.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back