Ridge tiles losing mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 'new build' which is about four years old. Have noticed that a lot of the mortar along the bottom of the ridge tiles is starting to fall out. The bits that I pick up in the garden are pretty solid, but along the west facing ridge there are gaps nearly all the way along where it has dropped out. The tiles themselves look to be in place and none look to be loose. Is this something that would be covered by the NHBC guarantee, or is it true that these aren't worth the paper they're written on? Sounds like they only cover defects >£500 so even if it is covered, it looks like we're going to get stung. Seems ridiculous that we'll need to get our roof sorted out on a house that's only 4 years old. Do you think we have any claim against the builder - or is that why they pass the buck to NHBC? The original builder/property developer is a right pain to deal with and I have no doubt that if I try to get him to sort it out he'll blame the roofing contractor who will almost certainly do nothing about it - basing this on my own experience and that of neighbours in trying to get the original snagging items sorted out. How much is repointing likely to cost - or will all of the ridge tiles need lifting and reseating? What does anyone advise to do in this situation?

Frazz

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
in all fairness a roof will flex a little and as a result, mortar verges and ridges do tend to crack a little.
having said that, the mortar bedding at the ridge should not separate and fall out. if a decent amount of mortar is used to bed the ridge then its own weight is enough to keep it in position.
it may have been raining when the ridge was laid, and as a result the roofer may have tried to point up the ridge on a different day. it could be this secondary pointing that is falling out, if so the ridge will not come flying off in the wind.
if it's the main bedding mortar then you need to get them re-laid.

Noseall - Judging from the bits I've collected in the garden, it looks like it's probably secondary pointing rather than bedding mortar. Do you suggest that I get this looked at or just leave it and keep an eye on things i.e. evidence that the ridge is actually lifting.

Thanks - Frazz.

i would definitely get them looked at. if they can be lifted with little resistance then they'll need re-bedding. if they're stuck fast then maybe re-point, or, to alleviate the pointing coming out again, pipe in some clear silicone. only do this if it is dry.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the building developer has done the decent thing and contacted the original roofing contractor to sort out this problem and should be in contact when they have finished their current contract. Since at the very least the ridges will need raking out and repointing, should I expect them to scaffold the house in order for this work to be done? My concern is that they will send someone up on the roof with a ladder and a bucket of mortar to do a quick fix and we'll be in the same situation in a couple of years time. Who would be responsible if there was an unfortunate accident, due to the property not being scaffolded and how can I tell if they're doing the job properly? Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic, but based on my previous interactions with these developers I want to make sure that I'm not taken for a ride.

Frazz

Frazz said:
Looks like the building developer has done the decent thing and contacted the original roofing contractor to sort out this problem and should be in contact when they have finished their current contract. Since at the very least the ridges will need raking out and repointing, should I expect them to scaffold the house in order for this work to be done? My concern is that they will send someone up on the roof with a ladder and a bucket of mortar to do a quick fix and we'll be in the same situation in a couple of years time. Who would be responsible if there was an unfortunate accident, due to the property not being scaffolded and how can I tell if they're doing the job properly? Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic, but based on my previous interactions with these developers I want to make sure that I'm not taken for a ride.

Frazz

I would imagine they would use a hen-walk, and it would be no fault of your's if there was a accident.

Thanks - that's reassuring, but what's a "hen-walk" ?

Frazz

I was just wondering, have they used a colouring in the mix, like a red for the red tiles, blue for those horrible blue tiles etc...

I seem to have noticed a lot of coloured mortar jobs never seem to last.

Does anyone on here know anything about colouring agents weakening/reacting with the mix?

(as I haven't a clue :oops: )

No - from the ever increasing collection of pieces I have, it just looks like regular mortar. The pieces are not at all crumbly, they just don't look like they've ever formed a proper bond with the tiles. Expect to hear back from the roofers during the next coupe of weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

Frazz,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back