Riello bf3 issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Working on an oil fired riello bf3. The unit is making two ignition attempts when cold. Starts every time on the second attempt. Does not lockout. Replaced filters, nozzle, photocell. What is the next likely culprit? Transformer? Fuel line vacuum is good.

Sponsored Links
What fuel are you burning? If 35 second,( diesel) then it may be need preheating, or it could be over aired.

I would have expected it to lockout on the first failed attempt.

Unless there is a little oil coming through enough to fool the sensor
it has lit and then go into relight.

Put the pressure gauges on the system and see what pressures you are getting.

Sticking solenoid valve stem?

If your burner has a three wire solenoid coil try changing that it is 2 coils in one a large one that initially lifts the oil valve to open and a much smaller one that simply holds the valve open it could be that the initial coil has become weak (common fault) but as others have said could be simply too much air ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm burning number 2 oil. I called the RIELLO Tech support hotline as well. They gave me some new specs that apparently help with a low-sulfur fuel issue on this unit. .50 70 degree A nozzle, 160 pump pressure, air 4.5 and zero turbulator. I'm not convinced this small change will fix the problem but maybe I'll start their and then replace the solenoid if the problem persists? Your feedback is very helpful, thank you all...

Without knowing your existing settings, it is difficult to comment, but if you set to that, by using a combustion analyser, you can fine tune. I don't recognise No 2 oil, but from the suggested settings it loos comparable to 35 sec, or diesel. If it is that heavy, we would normally look at using a preheater in this country to aid atomisation on cold start ups.

I assume your fuel tank is indoors -cos it is mighty cold your side of the pond at the moment!! I'd hate to see your oil waxing up!! ;)

Yes my oil tank is indoors and stays around 60 degrees F. It is cold here but the problem has persisted in the warmer weather as well. I'm going to start from scratch with the Riello tech specs and a different nozzle,also ordered the solenoid as suggested. You guys are great, thanks for all the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back