Riello Burner Question for Oilman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright folks,

Was called out to a oil boiler there that i serviced 6 mths ago. Customer had run out of oil and pushed the magic red button too many times. Boiler wasn't starting at times etc. So i checked the capacitor and it was fine. Made sure line was bled propoerly etc etc. basically a knackered pump. When i took it out it was full of rust etc.

Anyway i took my new Riello pump out of the box and and screwed it all back together. Put on my pump pressure gauge to check factory setting and teh pump was reading zero and the boiler wasn't firing. Tried to adjust teh pump pressure but no joy.

I pulled the burner unit out and ran it again and looked at teh nozzle. Basically the oil was shooting straight out of it instead of coming out as a spray. When i serviced it i changed teh nozzle as per teh spec and it worked fine for 6 months.

What teh hell is happening here please? Have i got a faulty pump or am i missing something??

G

Sponsored Links
Now why would a cast iron pump go rusty? Hmmmmm................. (holds head in hands for a long think).

I have done that since i was 13!!! Try to type too fast.

As for the rust then it looked like rust. What is it??

And what is happening??

PLEASE

G

Sponsored Links
just wandering if plastic or steel thats why.gotta look at every angle.i dont know if your working domestic or commercial

What causes iron to rust mmmm water. Its water behind the nozzle and in the pipe from the pump to the nozzle. Have you purged the line to check there is no water in it or it'll be another pump, have you dipped the tank for water in the bottom of it, have you cleaned or replaced the filters. You don't do much oil do you?
How are you going to set up the new pump and probably the new replacement nozzle?

Cozzmic, why did you have to tell grill? It was supposed to be a prompt to get him thinking? ('til Balenza interjected with a Softus type comment :rolleyes: )

Grill seems to know a lot about the tank though, I only remember tanks as plastic, steel, bunded,

Without giving too much away i actually design them so there!!!!

Oil is not my number line of business but i know enough about it to know that it has sucked water up through the line and yes i have purged the line and yes i have made sure that there is no water left in the line and yes i have a pressure guage to set up the pump and a FGA to check combustion and a smoke kit also.

I just have never seen oil shooting out of the nozzle like this before and thought i would ask why. Although im loathed to type this once more on this forum i AM still only new to this and TRYING to learn the right way to do things.

G

In that case, I assume the original query was about the nozzle. I read it as being about the pump, hence the reply. Sorry.

Nozzles can do interesting things when they get blocked. I don't know this from formal training or reading, but using a garden sprayer, which as you know has a huge nozzle by comparison with an oil burner. When they get bits in the hole before the outlet hole, the pressure at the outlet hole drops A LOT, and a jet comes out. I suspect this is what's happening in your case .

Plastic tanks have a number of disadvantages compared to a steel one (which has no disadvantages when looked after). They are unmaintainable, they have no sludge drain, they are mounted so low down, often you can't dismantle the filter to clean it. Other than that they are a long term disaster waiting to happen (and it happens suddenly).

PS if you want to avoid trivia from all and sundry, you could email me.

Hi Guys,

I wont go into all the beneifts of plastic oil tanks as everyone has their views on them. Major beneift is ease of install. More and more are going bunded now anyway so they are safer again.

I will replace the nozzle tonight and hopefully that will let me away. I preach to everyone about the perils of not running out of oil but they dont seem to listen.

Yeah if you ahve an email address where i can plague you directly that would be very useful!!!

Grill

Hi Guys,

I wont go into all the beneifts of plastic oil tanks as everyone has their views on them. Major beneift is ease of install. More and more are going bunded now anyway so they are safer again.

LMAOROTF
hmm3grin2orange.gif
hmm3grin2orange.gif
hmm3grin2orange.gif
So you get over the severe disadvantage by making them out of twice as much material, and making them cost more than twice as much as a steel one, with a nice place to have to check for water or oil, making them no longer any more liftable than a steel one. I suppose the next thing will be the plastic empirists will try to have the rules changed so we waste even more material by enforcing that EVERY tank has to be bunded. Well sooner rather than later we will not have enough oil to burn it, after being stored in an oil derived tank already made from twice the material to overcome the its inadequacy.
deadhorse.gif

Yeah if you ahve an email address where i can plague you directly that would be very useful!!!

Grill

See my profile.

Oilman,

Have sent this to your email address as well to double my chances of you answering it.

Went back to that Riello and changed the nozzle. No joy. Stuck in a new pump and away she went.

I set up the pump and burner as best i can using my Riello Training manual. 60 80 S nozzle 2.7 on the damper setting etc. See i am trying to do it right. 4% on the FGA. (this figure is wwrong in the email i sent!!!)

All was sweet until the burner had run for a minute and then i had loads of white smoke/steam billowing out from underneath the boiler!!!

Now the ground on the boiler house is wet (bad installation) and there has been a lot of oil split in there over the days.

Im praying this steam from teh ground but it was still coming after teh boiler had run for 10 mins albeit not as much. Could this be a leak in shell??

I took teh top cover off and baffle plates off and looked in for split oil inside. No sign. When i ran teh burner with all this out there was no white smoke/steam.

Any ideas here my friend??

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back