right angled triangle roof in terrace house, converting to 'vaulted'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Our house is a very small house ... and I'd like to remove the ceiling in the back bedroom to make the room feel larger.

as I'm typing this, I don't know the details of the timber structure holding the ceiling in place. It's difficult to access from the main loft and has its hatch boarded up (but can easily remove it).

I'm happy enough to crack on and remove the plasterboard but am rather hesitant about removing any timbers as I don't want to alter the structural integrity of the roof.

For me to carry out what I want (if it makes sense) what information do I need to obtain to make a more informed decision on whether it's financially viable? The room in question is approximately 8' x 16' and requires a new floor to raise its height + level it, removal of old/damaged plaster, rewiring + new radiator.

any help would be very much appreciated!

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Our house is a very small house ... and I'd like to remove the ceiling in the back bedroom to make the room feel larger.

as I'm typing this, I don't know the details of the timber structure holding the ceiling in place. It's difficult to access from the main loft and has its hatch boarded up (but can easily remove it).

I'm happy enough to crack on and remove the plasterboard but am rather hesitant about removing any timbers as I don't want to alter the structural integrity of the roof.

For me to carry out what I want (if it makes sense) what information do I need to obtain to make a more informed decision on whether it's financially viable? The room in question is approximately 8' x 16' and requires a new floor to raise its height + level it, removal of old/damaged plaster, rewiring + new radiator.

any help would be very much appreciated!

thanks!

Probably not would be my guess.

On many situations the ceiling joists act as collars in tension to stop the roof spreading.
A vaulted ceiling often needs steel work to solve that issue.

Hard to say though without seeing a pic of the structure.

Sponsored Links
It's all original (1911) timber work up there, but, it's a right-angle triangle so brickwork to the highest point / what would be the ridge beam. I imagine that something like a sufficiently affixed timber to the wall with some timbers perpendicular to the roofing timbers.

I am not sure of the vocabulary to identify the components in the existing roof structure or the components to allow the ceiling to be removed and replaced with some supports located further up the roof so as to increase the ceiling height.

thanks for your help/guidance thus far.

would it be useful to take some photos of what exists there already?

thanks!

I would get some advice by somebody on site!
By all means take the ceiling down and take
a look' but I have been on hundreds of buildings
of that period and there isn't much holding them
together a century later.

What do you mean by right angle roof ? A dual pitch roof with right angle at the ridge meaning 45 degree pitch ,or a single pitch roof with the right angle between the ceiling joists and the vertical wall ? In any case don't start removing roof timbers as they will be structural ,and you need building regulations approval for structural alterations first which will involve a structural engineer's input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back