Roof terrace queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I folks I am looking for some advice. We have applied for and been successful in regards to getting planning for a roof terrace on our Victorian property in a conservation area. At this stage I have got architectural drawings but they don't answer a lot of the questions that I have!

To give an overview the space in question is approx 6m x 4m. At the moment the space we are planning for the terrace can be loosely described as storage space. At the back of the return of our house there is a garage and we are planning to put the terrace on top of the garage. The return of the property is built on a slope that slides away towards the back of the property - so the garage floor is approximately 1.7m below the finished floor level. At the moment as I mentioned there is a storage room above this space with a roof etc...in order to over come the height issue in the garage there is a 2m x 1m "landing" that the kitchen door exits out to that is at the kitchen finished floor height and then the rest of the area above the garage has been raised by approximately 400mm. The current storage room has got walls all the way around and they are fine on both of the narrow sides (the 4m length) in terms of the planning requirements for height but the longer wall (6m) needs to be raised by about 500mm to ensure there is no overlooking our neighbours.

As there is a floor to the storage space there are ceiling joists etc in place and they are pretty chunky to boot so I am not expecting any significant structural works required in regards to support of the roof terrace floor.

The following will be the scope of works:

- remove existing roof and roof steel that is currently in place.
- remove the existing floor structure and replace with new structure.
- create all water drainage requirements for new foof terrace.
- fully waterproof the structure.
- lay a decorative slab/tile type finish.
- build up the long wall and add a decorative cap to the perimeter wall.
- render all the internal walls and the rear return wall of the property
- install some decorative/mood lighting and external power sockets (power has been brought to the area)

Basically I have the following queries:

1. What is the best way/system to waterproof the floor structure?
2. What is the best floor structure to use on top of the rafters?
3. What is the likely program - basically I am wondering when the brick work and rendering will be done as in at the very end or as soon as the roof structure goes down but before the waterproofing.
4. Can anyone refer me somewhere that I can understand how the drainage will work etc. I am assuming that they will add a taper to the joists in order to allow the run off.
5. How long is the work likely to take (with a fair wind)?
6. Has anyone previously done this kind of work and ignoring the rendering costs can anyone give me any idea of a ballpark cost. I will naturally be getting quotes but I am not sure when I can likely afford to do this, if it is sub 10k then possibly Summer 2013 and anything more than that and it is more likely to be 2014 at best.

Finally, is there any other tips and advice that someone who has experience of this type of work can offer me or any point of reference that I can call upon to help me better understand.

Hopefully you have got to this point and if you have well done and thanks!!

Sponsored Links
There aren't really simple single answer to many of you questions.

Get your designer to do you a good set of Building Regs drawings, then builders will be able to quote properly and will all be quoting on a like for like basis, the drawings can then be used to form your contract documents as well as to inform the builders as to what is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back