Rightwing Backlash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The BBC has decided not to broadcast an episode of Sir David Attenborough’s flagship new series on British wildlife because of fears its themes of the destruction of nature would risk a backlash from Tory politicians and the rightwing press, the Guardian has been told.

Narrated by David Attenborough, it is expected to be a hit, with five episodes scheduled to go out in primetime slots on BBC One.

A sixth episode has also been filmed, which is understood to be a stark look at the losses of nature in the UK and what has caused the declines. It is also understood to include some examples of rewilding, a concept that has been controversial in some rightwing circles.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/10/britain-wildlife-crisis-bbc-david-attenborough
The documentary series was part-funded by nature charities the WWF and RSPB, but the final episode will not be broadcast along with the others and will instead be available only on the BBC’s iPlayer service. All six episodes were narrated by Attenborough, and made by the production company Silverback Films, responsible for previous series including Our Planet, in collaboration with the BBC Natural History Unit.

Laura Howard, who produced the programme and used to work at the BBC’s Natural History Unit, said she did not believe its messages to be political.

She told the Guardian: “I think the facts speak for themselves. You know, we’ve worked really closely with the RSPB in particular who are able to factcheck all of our scripts and provide us with detailed scientific data and information about the loss of wildlife in this country. And it is undeniable, we are incredibly nature-depleted. And I don’t think that that is political, I think it’s just facts.”

full article@theGraunaid

She's right. This shouldn't be a political matter and in the light of Lineker's 'step-back' from presenting MotD it calls into question the way the BBC is governed. I can see the argument for censoring Lineker over a political issue such as the Tories immigration policy but environmental issues concern us all in very different ways and their policies aren't exclusively a party political matter.

Sponsored Links
You only have to look at how the chairman of the BBC was appointed and his connections to an insane RW government to realise the political agenda!

If it's true about a 'lost 6th episode', let's hope Attenborough speaks out on this...

He would grab far more attention than a footballer/presenter!

You only have to look at how the chairman of the BBC was appointed and his connections to an insane RW government to realise the political agenda!

If it's true about a 'lost 6th episode', let's hope Attenborough speaks out on this...

He would grab far more attention than a footballer/presenter!
The final episode was never meant to be aired, the BBC claims, and was always intended to be seen on their iPlayer - why that is doesn't make any sense to me.

Lineker has really stirred 'em up: tonights MotD will go on air without pundits, as Shearer and Wighty have pulled out in solidarity with their comrade...it might actually improve the show.

[QUOTE="Odds, post: 5431024, member: 277355..it might actually improve the show.
[/QUOTE]
You mean treat the audience as adults and let them draw their own conclusions in what they see in front of them and post up the league table at the end to see how the days games have affected the table.
Save a few bob by all accounts.

Sponsored Links
I keep reading on here how left wing the beeb is.

It so obviously isn't. But it is a disgrace

[QUOTE="Odds, post: 5431024, member: 277355..it might actually improve the show.
You mean treat the audience as adults and let them draw their own conclusions in what they see in front of them and post up the league table at the end to see how the days games have affected the table.
Save a few bob by all accounts.
[/QUOTE]
It would. Something dear to the Tories who think the BeeB steals money for nothing.
However, be careful what you wish for: this may give Aunty B. an opportunity to put a woman in charge, someone like Eni Aluko, and really mix things up.
I'd prefer to see Gabby Logan get the job.

I'm looking forward to watching match of the day without having to listen to the boring drivel from the studio pundits, for years I've thought 'just show the football ffs'.

It would. Something dear to the Tories who think the BeeB steals money for nothing.
However, be careful what you wish for: this may give Aunty B. an opportunity to put a woman in charge, someone like Eni Aluko, and really mix things up.
I'd prefer to see Gabby Logan get the job.
Thought they had a problem over representing the minorities over the majority affecting their impartiality remit.

Moving away from the Attenborough series though.

We are witnessing something much bigger than commentary of football

Moving away from the Attenborough series though.

We are witnessing something much bigger than commentary of football
What we are seeing is the further progression of the UK towards becoming a far right fascist state...

Lineker was in one way right about Germany/1930's, although as I have said it was more than one country...

Because in the same way as many in Germany were happy to be carried along with their leader's hatred of a particular group of people, many in the UK right now are doing the same thing...

And being whipped up in to frenzy by the aptly self named nasty party ('nasty' does have a familiar ring to it ;) ), and their right wing press...

It is of course down to the process of dumbing down of the easily conned part of the electorate, and the diversion from home grown political/economic/social failings!

Removal of freedom of speech is just one cog in the machine...

We quite rightly condemn Russia for making it a crime to 'mention the war'...

We are heading down the same path!

Apparently some footballers are also going to be boycotting the BBC in post match interviews as they don't like how their former union member is being treated.

Apparently some footballers are also going to be boycotting the BBC in post match interviews as they don't like how their former union member is being treated.
(y)

All premier league clubs playing today apparently...

As Wright said, Solidarity!

Just because your getting whipped up into a frenzy ellal doesn't mean the rest of us are.
Storm in a teacup if you ask me, see where we are in a weeks time when something else is on the front pages.
Anyway england v France and we'll see if the show pony Smith does what it says on the tin.

Tedious vendetta removed
Why is it when someone is changing the fabric of our country and making it less than what it was, those that object should be leaving?

Sorry, I forgot for a second that was part of the internet's most boring vendetta ever. Carry on.

Sponsored Links
Back