Rightwing Backlash

Sponsored Links
(y)

All premier league clubs playing today apparently...

As Wright said, Solidarity!
No reason for them not to play.

But I agree no pre or after match talks with the BBC. Football can carry on, its the BBCs actions that need to be highlighted, so no presenters is the right thing.

Just because your getting whipped up into a frenzy ellal doesn't mean the rest of us are.
Storm in a teacup if you ask me, see where we are in a weeks time when something else is on the front pages.
Anyway england v France and we'll see if the show pony Smith does what it says on the tin.
Ignore events like these at your peril.

I thought you were old enough and had seen enough to understand the importance of this Lineker event.

It is going to be a line in the sand, for good or bad.

Sponsored Links
Attenborough, one of the most trusted people in the country has been cancelled not by the right wing, but by the bbc who fear a right wing backlash. I'd like to hear what Attenborough himself says.

Blup

Thought they had a problem over representing the minorities over the majority affecting their impartiality remit.
Impartiality is the key remit in the BBC's media platform.
I don't like the term 'influencer', and when Lineker slides into that role he leaves himself vulnerable to accusations of political bias and offering a personal opinion. The BBC is there to report on the issues without resorting to personal opinion, and since Gary Lineker has such a prominent role in the organisation he forced the BBC to take action.
Some argue he has the right to express that opinion via social media and that's fair enough if he wishes to comment on football and what Gareth Southgate could do in the Euro Qualifiers, but stepping into the political arena is out of his wheelhouse. He isn't a journalist.

I don't like the term 'influencer', and when Lineker slides into that role he leaves himself vulnerable to accusations of political bias and offering a personal opinion. The BBC is there to report on the issues without resorting to personal opinion, and since Gary Lineker has such a prominent role in the organisation he forced the BBC to take action.
Some argue he has the right to express that opinion via social media and that's fair enough if he wishes to comment on football and what Gareth Southgate could do in the Euro Qualifiers, but stepping into the political arena is out of his wheelhouse. He isn't a journalist.
Have to disagree.

Just because he is a footballer doesn't mean he can't look at other things, and talk about them. In fact looking at grass roots football it probably becomes more relevant

He played football competitively and professionally for 18 years.

He has been presenting TV for 28.

He's a TV presenter and former footballer.

Seems the Solidarity is growing...

Football focus and Final Score apparently now pulled off air (y)

Totally disagree.
His opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

The tories are only pizzed off because Gary is calling them out AND has a very high profile.
And the beeb are only pizzed off because they're shoite-scared of what the tories might do to them.
If the beeb don't show some backbone, they'll just become a state propaganda tool.

Worrying times. Line in the sand.

Have to disagree.

Just because he is a footballer doesn't mean he can't look at other things, and talk about them. In fact looking at grass roots football it probably becomes more relevant
What he could do with him and his fellow virtue signalers is be posing the question where is footballs fan base going to come from in the future
If he looked outside the premier league he'd know in northern towns the fan base has dropped meaning crowds are down and clubs are going to the wall because of their make up.
The demographics of this country are changing due to falling birth rates and immigration, fast forward 20 years and football won't be able to commandeer the luxury of the audiences it's enjoyed in the past and present day.

Worrying times. Line in the sand.
Censorship is insidious...

And it has many tentacles...

I have been known to go on protests, and have a friend who happens to have a partner who is a copper.

Despite either or both of them supporting any particular cause, both are 'encouraged' (read that as 'or suffer the consequences') not to take part in a protest due to 'conflict of interest'!

Have to disagree.

He's not a footballer, he's an employee of the BBC.
Journalists have to STFU about their opinion. He's not one of those but he's part of the news organisation.

I wouldn't want, say, some Strictly judge talking to a Russian dancer about how their motherland has been invaded by the West, and the next one complaining about EU fishing rights, and the next one German gas supply shortages due to lack of forethought.

He can't say what the hell he likes, in his position. He's not a journo so imho he can have an opinion, but quoting Nazis - who were the ones making the noise in 1930's Germany that he's on about, is too far and he deserves a bohlicking. I'd have hauled him into my office and got him to agree, or leave the BBC.
If he thinks it's trifling matter, he's not suitable for the job he has. It's not about left/right wing, or censorship,, it's impatiality.

Sponsored Links
Back