Rightwing Backlash

Have to disagree.

Just because he is a footballer doesn't mean he can't look at other things, and talk about them. In fact looking at grass roots football it probably becomes more relevant

Totally disagree.
His opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

The tories are only pizzed off because Gary is calling them out AND has a very high profile.
And the beeb are only pizzed off because they're shoite-scared of what the tories might do to them.
If the beeb don't show some backbone, they'll just become a state propaganda tool.

Worrying times. Line in the sand.

Usually, i'd agree with those sentiments, as free speech is a fundamental pillar of democracy.
Howevr, in this case Gary Lineker is speaking as an employee of the BBC who maintain impartiality at all times, regardless of the media platform on which you wish to express an opinion.
Lineker's comment was designed to provoke a response from the Rightwing press with his conflation of Tory migration policy with the pogrom in Germany during the 30s. I'm not sure he anticipated this storm of commentary online and sure as hell didn't expect such a vehement response from the Rightwing press.
Have you seen the BBC promo where he's talking to Ros Atkins and says; "if i have a 1% doubt about a tweet, i won't send it." ?
Clearly, he had no doubt about the tweet he sent and meant the comment to hit its target.

Sponsored Links
Usually, i'd agree with those sentiments, as free speech is a fundamental pillar of democracy.
Howevr, in this case Gary Lineker is speaking as an employee of the BBC who maintain impartiality at all times, regardless of the media platform on which you wish to express an opinion.
Lineker's comment was designed to provoke a response from the Rightwing press with his conflation of Tory migration policy with the pogrom in Germany during the 30s. I'm not sure he anticipated this storm of commentary online and sure as hell didn't expect such a vehement response from the Rightwing press.
Have you seen the BBC promo where he's talking to Ros Atkins and says; "if i have a 1% doubt about a tweet, i won't send it." ?
Clearly, he had no doubt about the tweet he sent and meant the comment to hit its target.
I don't know that he was focused enough to try to provoke a response, he's just a bit of an entitled tw@t.
They pay him for his opinion, but only on football.

He's not a footballer, he's an employee of the BBC.
Journalists have to STFU about their opinion. He's not one of those but he's part of the news organisation.
He's not 'part of the news organisation', but why let the facts get in the way of your wish for people to air their personal views to be curtailed...

That sort of endorsement of censorship was indeed what Lineker was on about...

Do you agree with what Putin's Russia is doing to those (especially journalists) who dare to call a war as what it is?

138794-cc169182e251130446f7f911c1a2a3ae.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't know that he was focused enough to try to provoke a response, he's just a bit of an entitled tw@t.
They pay him for his opinion, but only on football.

Let me check.

An independent football speaker is not allowed, in his own time, to comment on government policy.

Do you foresee people being forbidden to SUPPORT government policy?

I wouldn't want, say, some Strictly judge talking to a Russian dancer about how their motherland has been invaded by the West, and the next one complaining about EU fishing rights, and the next one German gas supply shortages due

How do you know they don't? You don't think they talk outside of the aired show?

He's not 'part of the news organisation', but why let the facts get in the way of your wish for people to air their personal views to be curtailed...

That sort of endorsement of censorship was indeed what Lineker was on about...

Do you agree with what Putin's Russia is doing to those (especially journalists) who dare to call a war as what it is?
Putin's Russia has now't to do wi' it.
Russia has never really been a democratic state.

The events in Israel would be a better comparison.
Netanyahu is trying to supress the judiciary and keep his fat ass out of jail.
Demonstrations in Tel Aviv suggest he has a hard fight.

Let me check.

An independent football speaked is not allowed, in his own time, to comment on government policy.

Do you foresee people being forbidden to SUPPORT government policy?
No.

, he's just a bit of an entitled tw@t

:ROFLMAO:

He's worked his absolute spuds off from an age at which you hadn't even started popping spots and sprouting pubes, to become an England legend.

If you want examples of entitled tw@ts, take a look at the blue benches in the HoCs......

:ROFLMAO:

He's worked his absolute spuds off.

To keep himself fit and would be at best mediocre if he didnt. People pay good money to keep themselves fit.
Rodney Marsh is someone youd pays your money to watch, can't say Linnekar was anything out of the ordinary.

" There is growing concern internally about seeming bias in the application of the impartiality rules. For example, Lord Alan Sugar continues to host The Apprentice, despite explicitly backing the Conservative party in 2017 and 2019."

FT.com

the test I would use is....

if he had spoken in support of the Government policy would be have been pulled up for a political comment.

it has to work 2 ways or else it becomes a political issue in itself.. Which is where we are

Have to disagree.

Just because he is a footballer doesn't mean he can't look at other things, and talk about them. In fact looking at grass roots football it probably becomes more relevant

Look at the criticism pro players give to someone without a football background bit has strong opinions on the game.

Sponsored Links
Back