Rigid foam vs. wool insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for some advice on insulation. My gut feeling is that wool would be better than rigid foam when insulating a tight space as the foam would have to be cut to size and any gaps would severely compromise its insulating properties. Is this right or am I missing something? Just wondering if I should ask my builder to do it again properly (as I can currently shine a torch through a small gap and see they haven’t insulated it at all) or just buy some wool and do it myself! Not sure I can trust my builder to do it properly using the Kingspan boards that they normally use as they have already made so many mistakes! Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What is it that you are insulating?
The gap at the top of the window, see my other post for full details (
Post in thread 'Architect’s Outline Specification - how closely does this need to be followed?'
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-this-need-to-be-followed.592174/post-5269436
).

Basically the builder made a mistake which left this gap above the window 8” in the middle and tapering to a point at either side and their first attempt to box it in (as fixing it properly would require new steel, new window, etc) has left it with just plasterboard, an air gap and then heavier board on the outside (says high strength weather proof tile backing on it).

Sponsored Links
You would need rigid insulation in that with any gaps foamed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back