Ring.com Doorbell with Byron 776 (chime with integrated Transformer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've got a mains powered Byron 776 hanging in my hallway. I then have a two wire bell cable going out to a regular push button by the front door. All of these cables are concealed.

I now want to replace this with a Ring doorbell and assumed that I just have to replace the push button but am getting mixed messages. Apparently the transformer may not be powerful enough although many reviews on Amazon suggest that it works.

I know some of the ring doorbells come with their own transformers but I don't see how I can introduce this into the setup I have in place.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Many door bells will cause an overload when the button is pressed, it relies on the fact people press it for a short time, typically the ding dong bell causes an overload. However other bells have a standard speaker and present a very low load, but some times need DC rather than AC supply, Ring is a make so no idea what you are fitting. Does the new bell go ding dong or does it play a tune, the latter often DC and low current the former AC and high current.

As above. Which Ring doorbell? Do you have it, what do the instructions say?
Your byron bell will probably run from a 8v AC transformer. Some of the fancy Ring ones require a 24v supply. Some have cameras and these may need specific cable to work.

Thanks for the prompt response. Ideally, I want to install the Pro model but the Doorbell 2 will suffice. These are the Ring product models

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Taylortwocities. I've seen these docs amongst other material but this doesn't tell me if I can have the PRO system fitted with the setup I currently have. I don't want to start trailing new cables on my walls.
I think the Doorbell 2 will work but it doesn't have the "advanced detection" feature that I would have liked.

The purpose of posting on here is to hear from someone who has actually done this and ideally with the Byron door bell I currently have.

No you cannot. As I said in my post above. The PRO requires a 24v transformer which is supplied. So you will need to change that, and do the bypassing as described in the manual.
Otherwise it looks like the Ring uses the existing wiring that you already have.

It feels to me that the Pro would need me to replace the current door chime with the provided transformer but clearly this would look very unsightly in the hallway. Are you aware of any slim 24v compatible transformers which I can bury in the existing chime?

I’ve just come across the sky bell. Is anyone familiar with that and would that meet my requirements?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back