RING doorbell pro and existing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm a newbie so hopefully posted in the correct place.

I bought a ring pro doorbell which I knew needed hard wiring. I thought it would be as easy to replace my old one with the new one. It isn't. As I've suggested I currently have a wired in doorbell, 8v transformer outside of my CU and a internal chime. All working.

As the install needed an electrician to go into the CU and I have no clue what I'm doing I consulted 2 electricians who charged me for their time but unfortunately all they've done is isolated my old doorbell.. Me £100 down. I'm beginning to think this doorbell is just a money pit and I'm soon going to give up with it so I'm hoping someone here can help.

In short, I need the transformer swapped for a 24v one which is supplied and a pro power kit installed into my internal chime. Then the new doorbell fitted where the old one was. Stupid of me to assume it would be that easy.

The first electrician came to do the job and said he was unwilling to sign it off due to the old transformer being outside the consumer unit and to connect it, telephone wire was used? He explained this does not meet regulations and although he could do it, it could be dangerous so he will not sign it off. I've looked online and it seems that telephone line is perfectly fine to use? And its working with the old doorbell, does it make a difference tho when the voltage of the transformer has changed? He said my only option is to completely rewire the doorbell which would mean wires on show to the front door which I don't really want.

The next day the electrical manager for my landlord came to have a look and said it does meet the regulations as it is at the moment, if he was wanted to move the new transformer inside the CU he would need to rewire as the current wires to the transformer are not the same sized insulated as the ones that's already in there, so would not meet regulations. But said that if he was to put the 24v transformer where the old one was (outside the CU) in a housing, the wires used before would be perfectly fine.

The electrician said he's unwilling to do this.

What are my options? Should telephone wire be being used? Should I fit the transformer outside or have a rewire? At the moment I'm on for selling the doorbell and just giving up completely. Any help anyone could be would be great as I'm spending so much money and getting different answers from everyone as to what is and isn't legal/correct.

Many thanks for reading.
Stephanie

Sponsored Links
LNnk7NF

Hi Andy. Hopefully I've done that correctly?

https://ibb.co/5hyrCLn
https://ibb.co/BZ1n8dv
https://ibb.co/LNnk7NF

Sponsored Links
I can't see why they can't fit it an the end of your CU on the right hand side, and connect it to a B6

https://ibb.co/LNnk7NF

I can kind of see why they would want normal door bell wire coming out the CU. May be they can join it to the "telephone" cable a few inches afterwards?

As you are renting, selling the door bell isn't a bad idea, or exchanging it for a Ring door bell 2, which are easier to install. (they have a battery but can also be charged thru the wiring of your old transformer or by USB charger)

Last edited:
Hi Andy.

So the fact that it is telephone wire isn't a problem? He seemed to think it was very illegal and shouldn't have been done. But the landlord said it was signed and I'm sure they actually put the wiring in themself when the property was built (2011) so I assume it has to pass regulations.

I am renting but it's local council so I am quite secure. Luckily I have that option.

I did think about the Ring 2. As it wouldn't need half as much faffing around. But I've heard the pro is so much better in terms of night vision and camera. I'm trying to weigh up what is better to do. Im not sure how much its going to cost me to install the Pro. But I know if I sell the pro and buy a 2 I will be at a loss money wise. Suppose its just something I will have to deal with unfortunately.. Live and learn.

Thank you for your reply.

You can't link the Pro to an existing chime (or not without some massive bodgery anyway). Ring 1 or Ring 2 you can

Last edited:
You can't link the Pro to an existing chime (or not without some massive bodgery anyway). Pro 1 or Pro 2 you can

Yes I did notice that. Very strange. I think I'm going to just get the 2 and use it on battery power. Is there actually much difference in the 2 and the pro camera/vision wise? I may have to do some research unless anyone lives near Bristol and would like to help fit the pro - I can't find anyone here who knows what to do

You can power the Doorbell 2 with an 8v transformer due to the rechargeable battery so should be a pretty straightforward installation.

No idea on the camera specifications, i'm sure there'll be some numbers on the Ring site. Have fun (and change the password on the thing first chance you get. If you have a posh broadband hub (like the Virgin v6) then for starters put the camera on the guest network.

PS Without pics its hard to tell but generally any old bit of cable will do for the low voltage (ELV for accuracy) 8v part of the circuit. The bing bong may be a bit anaemic on telephone wire but it'll work, 24v through telephone wire is also fine (there's usually 40-odd volts on a phone line). As long as the transformer (or power supply if you like) is outside the consumer unit & properly connected to the breaker with 240v rated cable then its an acceptable installation. Supply doesn't have to be far outside the CU, 3 inches is fine. If the power supply is inside the CU then your electrician is correct to insist on 240v rated cable on the ELV side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back