Ring Final Circuit Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
When adding additional sockets to a ring circuit wired in old colours (red / black) and where the existing cabling is perfectly sound (IR, continuity loop impedance etc) is it acceptable to divert the existing cabling, only adding new cabling (blue / brown) as necessary? Or is it mandatory that all cabling to the new socket be in new colours? From a purely practical point of view what I’m suggesting makes sense as it is less disruptive to the existing installation and - as we keep getting told - it is more sustainable and friendlier to the planet as it uses less resources.
Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Only if it's Twin and earth or flex etc.
Not acceptable to use a cable such as VIR or any cable that you have discovered under the floorboards - which probably was shoved there 100 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Wow….VIR that’s a blast from the past. When I was serving my time I think the old guys used to call it cab-tyre! No, the existing wiring is modern T&E and I would guess just pre-dates the change to harmonised colours (early 2000’s). Just think, if the Brexiteers had won the day then, we’d probably still be using red and black now! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back