Ring Main alterations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
What is the correct way to join a ring main. I have a double socket that needs removed due to a bathroom alteration. I have no idea where the feed comes from or where the supply out goes to. It is an old house and i don't want to pull floor boards up chasing the cable until i find the end. Once i have removed the socket i intended to make a joint then tiles will be put over the old double socket. Any tip or advice appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
make a joint, then fit a blank plate over the box, you MUST NOT conceal the joint.

1. All screw joints must be accessible.
2. Cables must run in safe zones.

You can't do what you propose, as the cabling (even if jointed in a way that can be buried such as through crimps) will no longer be in a safe zone. If you don't want to lift the floorboards etc, then you will have to put a blank plate in, rather than tiling over it.

Assuming it's a wooden floor, then the most likely scenario is the cables come straight up from under the floor in to the socket, so if you can lift the flooboard right next to the socket, then you'll probably find the cables going in to it, pull them back to under the floor, then joint using through crimps (and a proper ratcheting crimp tool), or if you must a maintenance free junction box (note this is NOT one of the normal ones with screw terminals).

I would try to locate where the cables run.

It maybe easier than you think to get rid of them and complete the ring with a new piece of cable.

Sponsored Links
make a joint, then fit a blank plate over the box, you MUST NOT conceal the joint.

1. All screw joints must be accessible.
2. Cables must run in safe zones.

Just out of interest what is so bad about concealing a joint in a cable?

D

unless it's a permanent joint made by compression tool, soldering or brazing, then the screws can work loose through the heating and cooling cyclies that the cable goes through under different loads

if the screws are concealed then there is no way of checking them when you get your wiring checked every 10 years..

Thanks.

I noticed when I removed an architrave the other day that the socket cable was joined with insulation tape and covered pver with the architrave.

It is/was going back the same way!!

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back