Ring Main spur to run heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The ground floor of my Semi has a ring serving Living room, Dining room and Kitchen with a 30 amp fuse. (The cooker has its own supply) There is a spur from the ring serving an Upright Fridge Freezer and the Dishwasher via a 13 amp fused, switched unit.
Question: Can I run a 2.4 kw Plinth Heater from the end of this spur?

Sponsored Links
No, not from the same spur. You would need to install a whole new spur and from a different socket on the ring, you are not allowed to spur from a spur. 30amps suggests it is an old wire fuse type fuse board.

It may well be too much load for the 13 amp fuse, adding to the other appliances.
It would be better to have it on its own circuit ,failing that on its own spur.

No, not from the same spur. You would need to install a whole new spur and from a different socket on the ring, you are not allowed to spur from a spur. 30amps suggests it is an old wire fuse type fuse board.

From the OP, the spur is served by a 13A FSU, so the regs allow any number of sockets to be fed from that, I believe.

In this instance, as you and others point out, a new spur from a different socket is the way to go.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all of you. There's a spare fuse in the Consumer Unit so I'll have to spend a day fishing under the floor boards. Still plenty of time at the moment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back