Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ring main that is connected to separate fuses at the consumer unit. I believe that a ring usually leaves and rejoins the consumer unit on the same fuse. Has this been done for a reason or is it something that I should get changed?

Sponsored Links
Something you should deffinantly sort out.

Are you sure it is a 'Ring Main' (ring final circuit)? Is the only way to kill all sockets removing both fuses together?

What is the value of the fuses in the fuseboard?

How do you know it is a ring, have you tested it for continuity?

The fuse box is marked as "upstairs ring main fuse 4 and fuse 6" and yes you have to remove both fuses to disable the ring. Both fuses are 15 amp.

Sponsored Links
I'll take a bet that at some time in the past, some bright spark has tested the ring continuity and found that one of the conductors (or both) are not continuous.

Under these circumstances it would be a hazard to leave the ring fused at 30 or 32 amps. Rather than trying to find the fault he has split the ends of the ring and put the two ends on to two separate fuses each at 15A.

This is not right and is dangerous as we do not know why it was done, a fault may only take out one fuse and there is no single point of isolation.

If you know how to use a test meter, check to see if there is continuity of the phase, the neutral and the earth conductors of the "ring". this will mean turning off the whole fuseboard and taking wires out of the guts of the thing.

If you have any doubts about this, IMHO it would be better to get a qualified spark in to check it out for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back