ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friend has just bought a house and the upper and ground floors have a ring main each, but a few upper socket are in the lower ring main.Is this a problem , apart from having to turn off both to be sure they are all off.

Sponsored Links
what if one circuit fails? dont you think it's better having more that one socket circuit serving a floor?

It's not a problem as such, as anyone working on wiring should be testing every socket for dead before opening it up.

However it would be prudent to label the MCBs at the consumer unit correctly.

In commercial installations it would be quite common to label the sockets with which circuit they are on.

Ijohn-I don't know thats why I ask the question.If it's ok then I will leave as is. Will label to show grd and first on both .

Sponsored Links
One more thing guys, he has a 32 amp feed to cooker socket in kitchen, can this be used to supply kitchen sockets when kitchen is refurbed, gas oven/hob will be going in.

"Front"and "Back" ring circuits make more sense than "up" and "Down" as it's easier to balance the load between the rings.

Ijohn-I don't know thats why I ask the question.If it's ok then I will leave as is. Will label to show grd and first on both .

I knew that you didn't know, I didn't know that you didn't have an opinion though. I just wondered what you thought about the set up, thats why I asked the question. It is ok although you would suspect that unless there is an obvious split that the sockets on the "downstairs" circuit that are upstairs would more than likely be an add on. You say you have just got the house, did you have a periodic inspection report done on the wiring? If not, it is an exceptionally good idea, especially before you start decorating.

One more thing guys, he has a 32 amp feed to cooker socket in kitchen, can this be used to supply kitchen sockets when kitchen is refurbed, gas oven/hob will be going in.
It should be OK to run 4mm² through plaster and/or clipped direct to the surface to create a 32A radial circuit. Just keep at least 2 larger diameters between cables on the surface and one diameter in plaster. The work is notifiable so possibly cheaper to get it done professionally.

Personally, I would make the changes reversible for the next kitchen in case they prefer electric ovens.

Well spotted Mr. Sheds, the question reads as if he is doing things for himself. Someone needs an inspection either way.

Yes, although this would be rather pointless.

If the kitchen is being replaced, then so should all of the wiring, and designing a kitchen with no connection for an electric cooker or electric hob will save you nothing and just cause problems in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back