Upstairs socket ring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, this is my first post. I've spent a while looking for other posts with similar problems but i can't find anything that matches close enough.

Wednesday morning i woke up to no power.
i looked on at the CU and the 80A switch was off.
the switch/fuse/breaker marked as "upper ring" was off also.
i switched all of the breakers with labels off and was able to reset the 80A switch. i then turned on the others, excluding the "upper ring" switch, i managed to get the power on to the rest of the house, although it appears that the sockets in the kitchen are fed from the upper ring also (the kitchen has a stone floor so i can understand why they've come down rather than up.)

I've disconnected everything from the sockets upstairs and everything in the kitchen (fridge freezer is running on an extension from another ring).

I've opened all of the socket fronts and checked for loose connections / corrosion which could cause a short.

the 80A is still tripping when i try to turn the upper ring switch on.

Is there anything else i can to diagnose / fix the fault. I would class myself as a confident/competent DIYer.

If i've missed out any info let me know.
all help appreciated

cheers
metcalfe

Sponsored Links
short of changing each socket one at a time using a new socket for the first one and then reusing the original to replace the next one testing each time then nonot really much you can do other than getting a suitable sparky in to trace problem!

Be sure to unplug all appliances rather than just switch off at the socket.

Any outdoor supplies connected to the circuit?

Central heating connected to the circuit?

Have you got a gas cooker? Gas hobs with electric sparkers usually have the sparker plug hidden where the sun don't shine, and because it's gas you don't thing "electric".

And what happened Tuesday night? Any DIY going on, putting up pictures (nail through wire), rodent visitations? RCD trips are more often appliance-led, but if you're sure everything has been unplugged you're looking at the wiring installation.

Are you confident enough to open the consumer unit and check the tightness of terminations in there (not to be undertaken lightly, and only with the main switch OFF).

PJ

Sponsored Links
Hi chaps, thanks for all your input on this.
I've been able to locate a short between neutral and earth on a spur to a socket in the kitchen. I've disconnected the faulty spur and tested power on the upper ring and all seems to be working. I'll be replacing the back box and routing in power from another spur which is working properly at the weekend.

Until the next disaster I bid you thanks and farewell.

Metcalfe

I've disconnected the faulty spur and ...
... I'll be replacing the back box and routing in power from another spur
I'm not sure if you are using the correct terminology but

you cannot supply a socket from a socket that is already a spur (unless fused before the first socket).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back