Ring Pro Doorbell - wire to lighting?

Sponsored Links
You will still need a transformer if you run the power off that light.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
I got fed up removing and charging the battery on our Ring 2 doorbell every month or so so I fitted one of those Ring housing/solar chargers. Battery down to 60% after a month (it was on 85% when I fitted the solar charger) but I have upped the sensitivity settings so more usage.

Sponsored Links
Can't decide, Ring or Swann CCTV

Problem with Ring is my porch - if I have by door it will have very limited view, and if on wall, it might miss people if they wall right up to the door.

I have both - the Ring doorbell and a Swann cctv. I suppose you get more viewing coverage for your money with the cctv but the Ring doorbell allows me to speak to whoever is at the door as well as having sound on the saved recordings. With the Ring, if you want to be able to store a month of recording at a time you have to subscribe - currently £25 a year.

My thinking is have cheap CCTV, then use ring to get alerts so you know when something happens so can take a look, Makes sense to have 2 different systems running too ...

You can get the cctv to send you an alert when it detects movement in a certain zone.

Sounds like the solar charger, won’t do much when it comes to winter?

Having solar panels on my roof they are working over time at the minute, but come the winter months the performance will be very poor based on last few years of operation.

Always best to have power wired up, thought the ring devices come with a transformer these days?

Are the ring devices onvif?

Some cheaper alternatives are onvif aledgedly which means the could be recorded onto NVR/DVR by adding to system by its ip address.

That said the hik unit I use costs a fraction of the ring and records 247 on the
Turbo dvr or hik nvr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back