Ripped lining paper should I pva it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cut the lining paper back to plaster then filled with polyfilla (middle pix). Shall i put pva over plaster before painting or just paint it? I bought some cheap wood pva for £1, what percentage to water would I mix the pva?
20190906_172857.jpg
20190906_181843.jpg
20190905_222909.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you're going to put a patch of paper over that, go around the edge tearing every bit of it to produce a rough edge and not a sharp one - it may just blend in better.

if you're going to put a patch of paper over that, go around the edge tearing every bit of it to produce a rough edge and not a sharp one - it may just blend in better.

I might just paint over it. After sanding the lining paper around edges of filler. I was going to put some lining paper over hole but after filling it the lining paper would be too thick I guess

The middle picture is how it looks now

This is the pva I was gonna mix with water.
15679374347763423077635467314602.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is there no chance of you just repapering and painting the whole wall?

Just paint over the filler.

If it were a large area I would recommending thinning the paint with water first to deal with any suction issues but it is so small that you can use full fat paint. You may need two or more coats depending on the filler and paint.

Please keep your poundshop PVA away from anything you intend to paint. PVA starts to re-emulsify when it gets wet. As a decorator I groan when I need to paint over PVA.

As has been suggested, PVA is one of the most widely and inappropriately used products. Never use it prior to painting and never use it when tiling (use SBR instead).

Last edited:
Put a square of lining paper over the hole, with a very sharp knife double cut it, patch done, jobs a good 'un basic stuff if I may say.

Put a square of lining paper over the hole, with a very sharp knife double cut it, patch done, jobs a good 'un basic stuff if I may say.

That would work if the filler had been sanded flat to the plaster but in this case it looks like it has been sanded flat to the surrounding paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back