Ripped up tiles and starting again

G

Goldspoon

A few days ago (Wed) I laid 30x30 (approx) floor tiles to a wooden base (2cm ply, very solid) after removing the old tiles.

My first mistake was to use Unibond wooden floor premix stuff from B&Q.

My second mistake was to think it had gone off enough to grout (36 hours later)

Tiles flexing... grout cracking...

So have lifted it all up and salvaged most tiles and plan to do the job properly (after some research).

So I will be visiting Tile merchants to see what they recommend I use (adhesive wise).

Main question here is....

The surface on the floor is now a few mm of Unibond stuff spread all over the floor with 3-4mm lines in from the trowel. I did not try to remove this as some of it was VERY hard whilst some was soft, so am allowing it all to harden with the thoughts that this will provide a flatter surface than digging some valleys out of the soft stuff. Now this stuff does seem to set very hard, very quickly now the air can get to it.

Should I just use this as my base? It is pretty flat except for the "tram lines" from the trowel (as one might expect after the old tiles were used to flatten it into place) and it's stuck to the wood so well it rips the wood when trying to remove it. I cannot really see an alternative except to sand it off (which would be an epic).

Also will the old adhesive kick out fumes for a while and might this affect the new adhesive I use? I would like to redo tiles on Mon.

One does learn fast from painful experiences...

Sponsored Links
Get that pre-mixed shi.te off quickly before of fully hardens. Don't try tiling over it. Put that can of Stella down and get your scraper out sharpish.... like now!

Get that pre-mixed shi.te off quickly before of fully hardens. Don't try tiling over it. Put that can of Stella down and get your scraper out sharpish.... like now!

gcol what a straight talking man you are, I like it :LOL:

one day unibond will make an adhesive thats good. one day mind...

Sponsored Links
I tiled my first floor only last weekend. This was onto a 12mm thick WBP plywood (as unable to source any 15mm as per BALs instructions) BALs floor primer, and I used BALs flexible floor adhesive (not there rapid set stuff) and then grouted the floor 24 hours later with flexible grout. It has turned out perfect. So although I cannot help you out of your problem I can say the results I have achieved with the above have made me very happy so maybe it would be worth considering those instead. All the above adhesives grouts primers, and spacers were bought at Tops Tiles for around £60 apparently this was witha 50% reduction on the adhesive.

Good luck

Jeremy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back