Ripping up floor - Asbestos concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - very grateful for any advice. My partner and I are renovating our new house - we started at the weekend by pulling up some old timber flooring to expose the original floorboards.

We uncovered what looks like a fireplace that has been previously removed, covered in cement. This was broken up - as below. I’ve booked an Asbestos renovation survey for the full house this week, but am very worried that we exposed ourselves through this first task. Does anyone have any expertise in this / could you comment on the risk from the below? definitely getting the survey but any thoughts gratefully received!

Attachments

• 875CB4E3-06C1-4340-859D-CD49D1AA24B5.jpeg
    875CB4E3-06C1-4340-859D-CD49D1AA24B5.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
What you are looking at is the original constructional hearth. These are normally concrete or a form of limecrete depending on the age. Either way the constructional hearth does not normally include any asbestos - except that the hearth is sometimes covered with a sheet of asbestos cement board, placed between the constructional hearth and the superficial hearth. That board isn't present there - you would be able to pick it up. And even if it was it isn't dangerous. Your asbestos surveyor will be able to confirm but in the meantime, nothing to be concerned about.

Sponsored Links
Back