Rippled bend in copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm seeking some advice on a job I've recently had done. I've had a new radiator installed and on inspecting the job more closely I've noticed some 'ripples' on the inside of the copper pipe where it has been has been bent. It's not severe and the plumber has assured me it won't cause any issues and is just a result of thinner pipe.

I'm a complete newbie to this so am I being a bit OCD thinking it will cause a problem? It's under a floor so just need to make sure it's all ok and will last for many years.

I'd appreciate any advice or info!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not the benders it because it was cheaper, thinner copper tube. It'll be fine though. I have hilmors and it only ripples the pipe when I buy it from certain places that have the thinner tube.

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick feedback.

It's basically a few light ripples, there is one which is slightly larger and I was just concerned it could wear inside or it may have 'fractured' and could develop a leak in the future, so this does put my mind at rest.

Does this cheaper pipe cause issues after long term use?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ho Ho Ho!! We got a photo over on the Real Plumbers forum!!!

IF & it's a very big if, you have a problem with the copper tube the ripples(small & irrelivent) will not make a difference.

So go & enjoy your Xmas, I hope you & your family have a lovely time🎅🎅🎉🎉🎉🎉🎊🎈🎈

Thanks guys, appreciate all the responses! It's put my mind at rest.. I managed to get some images uploaded..!

Nothing to worry about, happens a lot (i also have hilmor bender).

It happens when force is removed from the pipe bender, then re-applied. i.e the plumber bends a 90 degree bend then once he lets go there is spring in pipe trying to straighten out, so he bends it some more.

If he's good with a bender, he'll over-bend it by just the right amount so once it springs back it's as he wants it.

You don't need to worry about the effect the ripples will have on the flow or any possible FAC

Nozzle

Thanks for the responses guys, sounds like I can rest easy - I can live with the cosmetic issues as long as it's secure. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back