Rising damp or normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During/after rain, the bottom 4 layers of bricks are always wet. I think the DPC is above the 2nd layer so not sure why there's wetness above it.
Clearly, the bricks higher up have dried quickly but the bottom 4 layers seems to be consistently wetter. Is this normal?

Note: The inside has no damp issues.

Attachments

• IMG_1745.JPG
    IMG_1745.JPG
    671 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
It looks excessively wet. Is the gutter above spilling?

Is the paving holding a puddle against the wall?

Take a wider pic all the way up to the roof, and round the corners. Include all gutters, downpipes, drains, gullies and manholes.

Look at your wall and find where the DPC actually is. Mark it with chalk in your photo.

Why did somebody put a gravel trench against the wall?

Does seem strange that the damp stops at a course that is above the dpc? Makes me think there might be an issue with a build up in the cavity that's enabling damp to bridge the skins? Oh, is it a cavity wall??
Let's sort this out!
Olly

Sponsored Links
You've got an outside tap there. Worth checking that it's not dripping inside the cavity. Is the tap isolated indoors?

Have to wait until daylight to get a better shot but here's a wide angle photo of the wall in question (marked red arrow). There's also a bit of "high" damp on the front corner aswell (though not seen in this photo).

There's no gutter above that wall.
There aren't aren't any noticeable puddles on the paving during rainfall - it mostly runs off towards the garden.
Gravel trench courtesy of the housebuilder (new build).
I isolate the outside tap during winter, so don't think it's an internal leak.

If a blocked cavity, how to unblock it???

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpg
    IMG_7557.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 28
Ah, I think rain water is running down that big red arrow!
Seriously though, the dpc will be level with your door threshold, so it's a bit odd that the bricks above are holding the damp. Maybe the damp proof course has failed, but maybe when they built the inner skin the brickies dropped too much mortar between the outer and inner skins? Just thinking out loud here... Anyone else on this thread?
Olly

There's no gutter above that wall.

Yes there is. You need to look at the gutters during and immediately after rain.

And I can see the downpipe on the other side of the house is blocked and spilling. Lime bloom on the brickwork near the top.

Last edited:
Male squirrels are using that section of wall as a urinal?

Yes there is.

And I can see the downpipe on the other side of the house is blocked and spilling. Lime bloom on the brickwork near the top.
Ah, I thought it was the verge wall John?

Yes, but I don't know how much projection there is.

If water was coming out of either of the higher gutters, at the end, I don't know where it would run or splash.

Yes, but I don't know how much projection there is.

If water was coming out of either of the higher gutters, at the end, I don't know where it would run or splash.
Ah, I'm with you now. It's where the roofs intersect. Also, the landscaper has finished the paving level with the threshold. You'd normally have 100-150mm step down to avoid breaching the dpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back