rising damp through parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if i might get some advice with a problem im having. Moved into an old house, built in about 1896 and have re done the vast majority of it now but im having a problem with damp in the living room.

The floor is concrete, with parquet on top and was not damp before i started work on it. Basically, i have put underlay on top and laid carpet tiles (30x30cm) that have a plastic base and sisal glued on top- thought this would easier so i could replace if they got ruined by the dogs..

The tiles are now getting damp in places, or the parquet is getting so damp its pushing them up. I dont think the house has a DPC, and should have checked but it didn't appear to be a problem.

Im happy to follow one of the guides on the forum, and take the parquet up, add a vinyl dpc and level, then re-tile, but im worried this may push the damp into the walls, which are newly plastered!

any guidance would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
By installing the underlay and the "plastic" tiles you've blocked the normal ventilation/evaporation of moist in the concrete through the parquet blocks. Hence build up of damp.
Remove the new tiles and let things settle down first before you do anything else to the floor. That gives you time enough to make sure this (covering the parquet) was the only cause. New plaster also adds to the normal humidity, so I suggest you ventilate more than normal to remove the excess moist

thanks, i have removed the tiles and a small area of the parquet and it s very damp and must have been like this for some time.

i'll give it a week to breathe and then more than likely pull it all up!

thanks, i have removed the tiles and a small area of the parquet and it s very damp and must have been like this for some time.

i'll give it a week to breathe and then more than likely pull it all up!

Sponsored Links
Hello Matt 1b
I know this was years ago, but I am in an identical situation in every way to yours...
What did you do after taking up the parquet please?

Some info there. We got it done on some jobs when we uplift parquet then screeding compund at 3mm and then Karndean

Thank you dazlight, thats brilliant.
I clicked the link yiu gave and will contact them. Also looking at the screeding and Karndean info too.
I have bee reading your other thread from October - December 2016 about the 1950s house, and the Ardex DPM1c
You offer great advice
Miranda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back