Rising gates when open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i need to fit some gates to a garage opening and there is a ramp behind the gates so they need to rise as they open. Each gate is 1.2m wide approx and needs to rise up about 10cm at furthest point.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting rising gates? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Alarm, any idea if the rising field gates will raise the gate enough (10cm) and if they have a relatively flush fitting between post and gate?

Not used those myself.
Have made rising gates with a sprung wheel, with the gate hinge post behind the post itself.
So it always has a closed gap when shut.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Alarm, any chance of some pictures of the hinge post behind a post method? would help me loads if i could see how its done!?

Bit OTT for standard gates.

OP No photos at the moment backed up on another PC will dig some out tomorrow but its really basic stuff.

not if the gate is on a wheel? and needs to move in a similar fashion?

No, the gate rises on the hinge, parallel to the ground. No need for multiple joints.

Bit OTT for standard gates.

OP No photos at the moment backed up on another PC will dig some out tomorrow but its really basic stuff.

not if the gate is on a wheel? and needs to move in a similar fashion?

No, the gate rises on the hinge, parallel to the ground. No need for multiple joints.

yes i know about rising hinges. But the OP has to raise the gate 10cms !!! i just offered an alternative, perhaps more appropriate solution?!

10 cm is nothing over the distances involved.

Also what weight are the gates? Metal or wood, close boarded?

Alarm, i havnt made the gates yet but they are 1.2m wide by 2.4m high each. Close board style. Not sure what that equates to in terms of weight. Any picture reference would be much appreciated. Basic is good as it means i should be able to do it!!

Great minds think a like, in fact i made a model out of my childs lego along these lines earlier. It obviously works, the only question is how much will it rise and what sort of strain will this put on the hinges. Only one way to find out i guess?

Well that link is showing a 1:10 rise, which I assume is in inches so 3 degrees should do it ( Hold the Diana Ross jokes :D). If in centimeters then it is spot on.

Let us know how you get on, have got a "watch" set up on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back