rising main problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has his water off a spring,he has good pressure at the stop tap but when it's filling the uv chamber it starts to slow then 3/4 up the jar it stops to a trickle. The outlet side runs up to the cold water store and these he has told me are full. There is no obstruction on the outlet side and when I take the uv jar off the water flows perfectly.
Could it be an airlock on the rising main after the uv chamber and if so how can I blow the lock through. Any other suggestions of fault and remedy I would appreciate. As I have scratched my head raw.

Many thanks.
First time poster.

Sponsored Links
long shot but you could try connecting hose onto a tap and pumping water back down the mains?

sorry, cant understand your question. what set up do you have? is it tank fed with electronic flow switch direct to pump? pressure vessel and pump set? what is actually the problem feeding what? as you say the the cold store is full. guessing your meaning ultra violet set and filter?

Cheers Sammy1990

Hello hotly it's a gravity fed spring main entering the house then going through a uv filter then up to cws tank in the attic all taps are fed from the tank.
We can disconnect the uv filter turn water on and we have no drop in flow.
Once the the uv filter is put back in line on the system the flow rate drops to a trickle then stops.
As I have slept on it and had time to think.my thoughts are that to fill the main we should open a tap fed from tank to drop the water level in tank to open float valve then turn main on to force water through the main.
If there is no water at taps then he has an airlock on the cold feed from tanks which we can blow through by punching water up the tap from an outside.

Sponsored Links
All sorted a nights sleep helped, there was an air lock on the cold feed side,we blew water from the tap at the top of garden through the cold tap. then opened the bath taps dropping the level in the cws tank,which opened the float valve n cws, then we opened the stop valve and were able to see the water fill the uv filter and gurgle up the rising main. Sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back