Rising Main Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Could anybody tell me what the regulations are with respect to using a 22mm Ball valve as the primary cut off for my rising main?

I have seen snippets implying only a 'Stop Cock' should be used, but have found nothing official looking.

Ta,

Dale

Sponsored Links
When the Water Company replaced my old leaking lead stopcock,they put in a 22mm ballvalve,so I can't see any problem if you do.

....except that the water regulations state that it should be a screw-down valve! It should also be followed by a double check valve and drain cock.

I'm right saying the water meter got 1/4 turn ballvalve and should it not be screw down type from there?

Sponsored Links
I'm not saying that you aren't right, just that the Water Authority Oiks didn't comply with the Water Regs. Nothing remarkable there. Quarter turn valves have a lot less flow resistance than traditional stop cocks.

Thanks guys,

I figured that a 'StopCock' would be the final word.

With regards to the drain cock and double, I did once see mention of this but lost the web page. As for the order of fitting I am guessing;

From the StopCock into the Rising main the order is Double Check then Drain off. I was going to use a 22mm reducing T to 15mm and use a small Drain Cock. I guess the idea being that the entire system can be drained easily.

I'm off to continue making the route for the MDPE... Hiii-Hooooo

S'right. You'll be the only one for miles around with it done "properly"! If you spend the extra couple of quid (careful where you go to buy) on a 22mm double check valve you'' reduce the flow restriction it gives. Not an issue if your pressure is say 3 bar +.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back