RJ11-CAT5E DIY Broadband Extension cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make my own broadband cable, instead of using the one supplied by my ISP. I want to use CAT5E cable terminated with RJ11. Should this be wired straight through or crossover?

Sponsored Links
Cat5e will not fit into an RJ11 plug.
Cat5e has 8 wires, RJ11 is designed for 4.

If this is to connect a modem to a wall socket, there is only one way to connect the wires, and only 2 of the wires are actually used.

I intend to connect 4 of the 8 wires to the RJ11. Only the 2 inner pins on RJ11 will carry data.
I wish to hard wire the other end to my master socket data connections A & B.
Can anyone tell me what colour wires I should use where please.

The ADSL signal from the telephone exchange to the modem ( in the router ) travels best along low twist telephone cable ( CW1308 ) as it was developed to make use of existing telephone cables between exchange and houses.

Putting an ADSL signal along CAT5 / 6 cable ( highly twisted ) can result in lower overall speed than using CW 1308 cable for the ADSL from master socket to the modem / router

Sponsored Links
Martyn
You need need a RJ11 to connect to your Modem (Hub), using the center 2 contacts of 6 available (ie pin 3 and pin 4).

So to transmit ADSL (and telephone) signal from the telephone box to the modem/router, use telephone cable (do not use ethernet, CAT Cable) from master socket data connections A & B to a RJ11 using the center 2 contacts of 6 available (ie pin 3 and pin 4).
Suggest you buy RJ11 terminated cable and cut one end off:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....H0.XRJ11+cable.TRS0&_nkw=RJ11+cable&_sacat=0

But if messing about with A and B ports, why not simply fit a BT ADSL master socket and buy a length of RJ11 both end terminated cable to got between this terminal and the modem? This has additional advantage of filtering telephone siginal from the RJ11 cable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...570.l1313&_nkw=bt+master+socket+vdsl&_sacat=0

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My broadband Hub is in a room the other side of a wall to where my master socket is. I want to drill a small hole through the wall & make my own broadband cable. It only needs to be about 2 meters long. On-line there are suggestions that the flat untwisted broadband cable supplied with the hub is vulnerable to interference & replacing it with CAT5E or CAT6 cable is of advantage.
Master DSL wire B to pin 3 Blue/White RJ11 & Master DSL wire A to pin 4 White/Blue RJ11. DSL DATA connections at a filtered master socket are accessible by the customer without infringing any laws.
Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Except that ADSL is not designed to travel down cat cable.
As Bernard said, it is designed to travel down CW1308 cable with its slow twist. It will travel down the supplied flat hub cable better than cat cable.

If you want perfection in that last two meters go to eBay and buy a length of BT CW1308 and use that over the last 2m as it is the same type of cable used from BT cabinet to your house.

Sfk

eBay and buy a length of BT CW1308

ensure that it is solid copper conductors and not copper coated aluminium ( CCA ) conductors, CCA will work to begin with but over time there is a high risk that the punch down connections will fail.

Bernard, thanks for that reminder.
100pc agree (after buying dodgy Aluminium CAT cable that was supposed to be copper;).
SFK

Sounds good. Except that ADSL is not designed to travel down cat cable.
As Bernard said, it is designed to travel down CW1308 cable with its slow twist. It will travel down the supplied flat hub cable better than cat cable.

If you want perfection in that last two meters go to eBay and buy a length of BT CW1308 and use that over the last 2m as it is the same type of cable used from BT cabinet to your house.

Sfk
CW 1308 as far as I can tell is for ADSL, but CAT5E is better for VDSL because of its higher bandwidth. I will be using VDSL FTTC.

but CAT5E is better for VDSL because of its higher bandwidth

VDSL can be faster than ADSL because the length of copper connection between network equipment and the modem/router is shorter.

Fibre To The Cabinet ( FTTC ) means that data is carried by fibre optic to a street cabinet near to the house. There the data is transposed onto the copper pair to the house allowing for higher speeds over the much shorter copper pair.

ADSL was specified as having to work over distances of up to 5 ( or was it 10 ) miles of twisted pair cable. The shorter copper routes with FTTC ( typical max 1 mile ) allows the specification for VDSL to work over a maximum distance of 1 mile.

Where data waveform passes from CW1308 to CAT cable it sees a slight change of impedance which causes some of the signal to be reflected back wards. This reflection both weakens and degrades the signal received by the modem/router

VDSL can be faster than ADSL because the length of copper connection between network equipment and the modem/router is shorter.

Fibre To The Cabinet ( FTTC ) means that data is carried by fibre optic to a street cabinet near to the house. There the data is transposed onto the copper pair to the house allowing for higher speeds over the much shorter copper pair.

ADSL was specified as having to work over distances of up to 5 ( or was it 10 ) miles of twisted pair cable. The shorter copper routes with FTTC ( typical max 1 mile ) allows the specification for VDSL to work over a maximum distance of 1 mile.

Where data waveform passes from CW1308 to CAT cable it sees a slight change of impedance which causes some of the signal to be reflected back wards. This reflection both weakens and degrades the signal received by the modem/router

The reason I was thinking of using CAT5E cable is because it is recommended on-line & I already have some. I will use CW1308 if I can get it. Thanks Again.

Last edited:
I am currently on cable switching back to Openreach network. If I install an NTE5C master socket myself (where i want it) will Openreach connect it for me instead of just replacing the face plate on existing NTE5A BT master?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back