Road gully trap - what's the purpose of the stopper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live on a private road and the rainwater/road gullys were blocked with leaves, so I've set about clearing them out.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the purpose of the large stopper is as per this design:

drn079.gif

It seems that the rainwater will already exit at the lowest point - the stopper which is above this height seems to serve no purpose?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Aah, I see! Thanks everyone for the replies.

Hi,
I am having GREAT difficulty in convincing the hoa to replace all the stoppers ,as they have been removed over the years. They must be left in to avoid detritus overflowing into the drain.
They also serve to indicate when the gully needs emptying, as the gully will overtop onto the street.
Cheers

Last edited:
I would agree, the prime design feature is for cleaning., but it does make it more difficult for rats to enter or exit the sewer ...as an aditional feature. !
But they must be in place, where the feature is present.

Stopper may well be superfluous to requirements on a modern estate, where the road gullies should be connected to the Surface Water Drainage system. Only really need to seal the pots off on older streets where the gullies may be connected to a Combined system, and the rainwater was relied on to flush the sewers through in times of heavy rainfall.

Stopper may well be superfluous to requirements on a modern estate, where the road gullies should be connected to the Surface Water Drainage system. Only really need to seal the pots off on older streets where the gullies may be connected to a Combined system, and the rainwater was relied on to flush the sewers through in times of heavy rainfall.
I'll think you would find that the morning "everyone up and off to work" flush would have been more than enough to flush the system except perhaps at the head of the system

I'll think you would find that the morning "everyone up and off to work" flush would have been more than enough to flush the system except perhaps at the head of the system

It wasn't though, hence why they directed some of the rainwater into the sewers.

Thanks Hugh
"Stopper may well be superfluous to requirements on a modern estate, where the road gullies should be connected to the Surface Water Drainage system."

"Only really need to seal the pots off on older streets where the gullies may be connected to a Combined system, and the rainwater was relied on to flush the sewers through in times of heavy rainfall."

Agreed..maybe..
But, ALSO, if the stoppers are not in place, then there is a danger of detritus overtopping into the link drain and causing downstream blockages.

Last edited:
It wasn't though, hence why they directed some of the rainwater into the sewers.
They didn't direct some of the rainwater into the sewer, it was all directed in and storm overflows incorporated at strategic points in the system to send excess to rivers etc. Sewers designed to take 6DWF, normal peak flow about 2.5DWF. DWF (dry weather flow) is a flow factor based on population and average daily usage per capita (about 135litres currently I believe) In times of storm flow into sewers can be 20- 30DWF+ depending on storm intensity. At one time they would actually place an automatic dosing chamber at the head of a sewage system, a bit like a toilet cistern ( but bigger), that would discharge a cleansing flow down the system at a predetermined period although these are not in vogue anymore

Last edited:
Perhaps if the Councils/Highways emptied the Gullies a bit more often, then there wouldn't be an issue with the pipework blocking!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back