Roaring water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Just had new bathroom fitted
When I run the taps on the sink you can hear water roaring up the pipes. Hard to describe but it makes the floor vibrate as it comes up.
If you are downstairs you can hear the water whooshing up the pipes.

Any ideas on what can be done to eliminate this noise at all?

The pressure / flow is immense I should add. Probably too powerful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi all

Just had new bathroom fitted
When I run the taps on the sink you can hear water roaring up the pipes. Hard to describe but it makes the floor vibrate as it comes up.
If you are downstairs you can hear the water whooshing up the pipes.

Any ideas on what can be done to eliminate this noise at all?

The pressure / flow is immense I should add. Probably too powerful.

Thanks

What is the actual pressure/flow rate?

Now if they only did a valve that could reduce the pressure.....

Pressure / flow rate id say is between powerful and very powerful.
Does a valve exist to reduce flow?

Pressure / flow rate id say is between powerful and very powerful.
Does a valve exist to reduce flow?

We don't work on powerful and very powerful it means nothing. You need it measured.

As for the valves, yes they do. Google is your friend. You may not need any valves as yet until you supply meaningful readings for pressure and flow rate.

Flow can be done easily with a known measured container. Let's say a 2 litre jug. Time how long it takes to fill this and times by 30 this will give a litres per minute flow rate. Best done from Bath tap. If it's a 1 litre container times by 60. You get the gist?

Pressure will need a gauge attaching to the system.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Flow can be done easily with a known measured container. Let's say a 2 litre jug. Time how long it takes to fill this and times by 30 this will give a litres per minute flow rate. Best done from Bath tap. If it's a 1 litre container times by 60. You get the gist?

Jon

I think someone should have listened harder at school.

I think someone should have listened harder at school.

I don't know what I was even thinking when I wrote that!

You are right school day needed! Im embarrassed for myself! I knew what I meant but was poor advice. I'll leave it there for the day so the p1ss take can happen and then remove the bad maths advice to save others.

Jon

Jon

Erm are you sure Jon? ;)

... or maybe, time how long it takes to fill a 2 litre jug, divide 60secs by the time it took to fill the jug, then multiply that answer by 2 = L/Min
e.g. 10 secs to fill 2L jug, 60secs/10secs = 6 x 2L = 12L/min :)

it could be quite possible that your main stop cock was only opened half way to start with, the bathroom fitters have come in, turned off the water then turned it back on fully.

It depends Chin. You can have high pressure and flow and still use up to a reasonable level given suitable pipe sizes, runs, valve types etc. 12L/Min is what I would consider to be just OK but if there's restrictive valves, bad pipe support and complex pipe runs, regardless of flow rate, it can all add to noise.

Your simple solution is as the guys have said, try turning down the mains stop tap and see if that reduces the noise. That dictates whether a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) or a flow regulator should be added.

Erm are you sure Jon? ;)

... or maybe, time how long it takes to fill a 2 litre jug, divide 60secs by the time it took to fill the jug, then multiply that answer by 2 = L/Min
e.g. 10 secs to fill 2L jug, 60secs/10secs = 6 x 2L = 12L/min :)

Not at all Madrab hence my post above awaiting the P1ss take. I have no idea why I posted that only that it's been a long week. I knew what I meant.

It depends Chin. You can have high pressure and flow and still use up to a reasonable level given suitable pipe sizes, runs, valve types etc. 12L/Min is what I would consider to be just OK but if there's restrictive valves, bad pipe support and complex pipe runs, regardless of flow rate, it can all add to noise.

Your simple solution is as the guys have said, try turning down the mains stop tap and see if that reduces the noise. That dictates whether a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) or a flow regulator should be added.

Thanks. Our internal stop tap hasn't been touched (we only found it the other day). Would the tap in the street have the same effect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back