Rodents in roof...Help!

Lol cheers bud

Good to bring some humour into it... been stressed about it.

Sponsored Links
Early morning update

2 traps i set in the rear fired off and have caught 2.

Looking on the side camera ... I think I can see both traps have fired, can see 1 caught - not sure about the other yet.

Front I can see one has fired but does not ppear to be anything caught. Need to check the other one.

The other side are still both active.

I’ve been awake most of night and although I am hearing the odd noise from the loft area... I THINK it is not as bad as usual. The loft motion cam has not detected any movement through out night (would usually get a few recordings).

Last edited:
So 8 traps 5 had triggered, killing 3.

The other 2 may have escaped I’m guessing.

I am not sure if the 3 are mice or rat.
X2 brown top and white underside
X1 grey

All small-ish

Have set the 8 up again for another night of slaughter.

Loft camera has not triggered at all over night and into this morning.

Last edited:
Easiest and most humane way to kill any rats that are trapped but not dead is to drown them in cold water.

Sponsored Links
Easiest and most humane way to kill any rats that are trapped but not dead is to drown them in cold water.
If you get caught killing an animal in that manner, you'll be in deep doodoo.
It's neither easy nor humane.

If you get caught killing an animal in that manner, you'll be in deep doodoo.
It's neither easy nor humane.
Why will i be in deep doodoo for quickly killing a rat that i've already half killed with a trap?

What's more humane? Letting a rat trapped in a snap trap die of dehydration over a period of days or putting it and the trap under a colander in a bucket of water?

Bearing in mind that the OP doesn't like the idea of a snap trap or poison, i suspect that he's not going to want to smash a rat over the head either.

I'm not going to attempt to explain it as I feel that I would be f@rting against thunder.
Read page 8
page 8 said:
Drowning is likely to cause severely unpleasant feelings of fear and pain or extreme discomfort associated with wanting to breathe

Drowning would do that. That being said, its a rat and a rat that is already suffering extreme pain from being stuck in a spring trap.

Its a needs must situation in my opinion. I'd shoot or bludgeon a caught rat, but the OP is setting traps so chances are he will end up with a live one at that point.

Better that he causes severely unpleasant feelings for fear and pain for a short period of time than leave the rat to die slowly.

He's not going to get prosecuted for drowning a few rats that are already half dead. Its not like he's doing this commercially.

I’ve had my roofer over to patch up pointing on the roof and reseat my ridge tiles.

Next I will cover air vents with mesh.

Still no activity from the loft camera (maybe sleeping up there).

Will see what happening over night.

Thanks all

I am not sure if the 3 are mice or rat.
X2 brown top and white underside
X1 grey

All small-ish.
Do the tails have hairs on them, or are they bare and scaly? Every rat I've ever dealt with has been grey/brown in colour and has a scaly, hairless tail.

As to prove being squeamish about controlling rats (e.g. "another night of slaughter"), it may be worth considering that they can carry a lot of harmful pathogens which can kill or disable you (most notably Weil's disease, but also other nasties like rabies), that left uncontrolled they reproduce copiously and that they damage crops and foodstuffs. Having been brought up in the countryside I have no compunction in dealing with vermin decisively, an attitude probably strengthened by having been bitten by a rat as a child

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I was going to take pictures but I just wanted to get rid asap.

Another one caught overnight - 4 in total.

No activity on the loft motion camera aswell.

Hopefully heading in the right direction

Another one caught overnight - 4 in total.

No activity on the loft motion camera aswell.

Hopefully heading in the right direction
Once you've gotten rid of them and have a period of no activity, don't leave the traps out indefinitely. The bait can end up attracting new rats to your property.

Or so my local mouse man told me.

That was going to be one of my next questions actually.

I’ve had kills on nights 1 and 2.
Today is night 3

If I have no kills I might just give it one or 2 more days before removing the traps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back