Roller guide for foldaway bed

A customer of mine has a bed which folds way and allows his son to have table which pops up as the bed folds away. In the process the table stays horizontal at all times.

Here is a DIY version

Sponsored Links
How far do wish/need the bed to project from under the frnt of the Desk?

And rather than a track why not have a hinge arrangement - something like the attached?
It’s probably desirable for the bed to extend fom under desk, at least so someone can sit on the edge. I had considered various hinges, but they inevitably foul the desk (as yours would).

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with a track/guide. Just use small wheels at the bed base corners, Like this :-
If you push the bed back from the outside edge what is going to encourage the inside edge to climb up the wall.

What about something like small skateboard wheels running in routed out tracks in sheets of MDF/PLY? You could even double up the thickness of wood to add depth to the tracks.

What about something like small skateboard wheels running in routed out tracks in sheets of MDF/PLY? You could even double up the thickness of wood to add depth to the tracks.
MDF is extremely soft and will wear out in next to no time. I did suggest the appropriate material for either the tracks or guides above which can be routed, is load bearing, is self-lubricating and is highly durable whilst also being quiet - 1000 grade UHMW plastic (also called HDPE). It is used with steel components. It is used in industrial tracks because it is harder wearing than most nylons.

And there is an explanation as to why that won't work.
You totally misunderstood, I said fold lengthwise, which means a for example a 1000mm wide bed folded would be 500mm high fitting easily under your desk .

You totally misunderstood, I said fold lengthwise, which means a for example a 1000mm wide bed folded would be 500mm high fitting easily under your desk .
Ok, I'll be looking out for a standard mattress that folds lengthwise… :-/

A customer of mine has a bed which folds way and allows his son to have table which pops up as the bed folds away. In the process the table stays horizontal at all times.
There are various forms like this available commercially, I think the point at which they fail the utility test is when you have a reasonable sized monitor on the desk…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back