Ronseal exterior wood stain of floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I need some advice/help from you experts.

I am a building contractor who got a job of sanding & staining floorboards in an old Victorian house.
I am no decorator, so I got my decorator we use to do job. He sanded floor then unknown to me at the time used Ronseal exterior wood stain. :rolleyes: The customer found out & contacted Ronseal who stated under no circumstances should this stain be used on any floors including internal floors.
The customer now wants their deposit back or to restrip floors as it is not sure how it will wear.
Spoke to decorator he says he has his own floors done with this at home & it has been down for 10 years.

Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
I don't think anyone here will tell you that it will be fine but, if the decorator has genuinely used it on his floors and it has lasted 10 years, then who are we to argue. After all, within every trade, we do find better uses for products that they are not specifically designed for, but that's not to say this is the case here.

The problem you have is that the customer has asked for a floor to be treated and have discovered that you/the decorator have used a product which isn't classed as suitable by the manufacturer (who have to cover their own backs). Obviously, the customer wants piece of mind that it won't fail prematurely. You can either redo everything to their satisfaction or, if the customer likes the finish, you could come to some form of agreement that lets you personally guarantee the job so that if it fails before 'x' amount of time you will redo it then.

Sponsored Links
It is nowhere near as hard and durable as diamond matt varnish.

I had a lot of Dulux Mahogany woodsheen left over from my hardwood external doors, and used it on the bathroom floor. It has worn away where the boards are fractionally uneven. I expect it is comparable to what you have.

Thanks advice is appreciated.
Decorator not willing to refund deposit as he says it is ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back