Ronseal Paint & Grain help with spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m using Ronseal Paint & Grain on my door frames and stair case, the door frames have turned out very well and we are pleased with the effect, the long flat surfaces on the staircase is also OK but I’m having no luck at all with the newel post and spindles using the combs provided in the kit.

Can anyone tell me what tool I need to get a good effect on the spindles? Or how to make my own.

Sponsored Links
These bits always are hard to blend in........

Try using a dry brush to create a grain..

Feathers, trim the sides until you get the desired result.

You want feathers off a big bird......... :LOL:.........Not the little downy ones.

Third_Eye said:
These bits always are hard to blend in........

Try using a dry brush to create a grain..

Yep..my thoughts too...cut it down a bit to make it stiffer.

Or try a 'flogging' effect...paint the grain colur on and they tap the dry brush over it in an upwards direction..it will leave loads of little 'v' marks..similar to a tight grained wood

Experiment

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestions, I found out the hard way by experimenting with all sorts of brushes including a nail brush and a tooth brush, I didn’t try feathers because I hadn’t logged back in for a while and didnt see the post untill it was too late.
I ended up using a cut down paint brush and applying the grain coat very liberally.
It’s all finished and the first person to walk in the house said, ho I didn’t think you were fitting a new hard wood staircase as well as the doors. :LOL: guess I must have done a good job.

I would just like to add the Ronseal Paint and grain kit is very good, the match was spot on with the light oak doors we used, the base coat covers very well on wood and plastic, I found when useing in on bear wood it covered with just one coat, the graining tools supplied are very easy to use and get the desired effect, if they also included a tool for doing round surfaces it wood get a 11 out of 10 from me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back