How to paint staircase spindles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've bought an uncompleted house that I'm going to finish and make my home.

The original owners intention was to paint the spindles on the staircase. I just wondered if anyone had any tips on how this would be done and what type of paint should be used. I hate gloss so would like to avoid that.

Many thanks,

Devs.

Q40A6220.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd be inclined to wipe them down with an oil or polyurethane (satin) finish - but I like the look of wood!

I know Chud, that has crossed my mind as I prefer the wood look to painted also. I've not been back to the house recently and am awaiting the keys. However I was under the impression that the spindle wood was inferior to what has been used on the banister etc as the intention was to paint. I'll take a closer look when I can.

Just trying to get my long list of jobs in order ;)

Stay with the wood, zooming in tonthe picture the spindles seem fine.

A paint finish does get chipped and will fade and thus need a routine recoat every 7-10 years.

A nautural oil / stain wont need anywhere near the same work regime and the fading just looks natural.

Sponsored Links
Fair comments chaps, I'll stick with the wood! Cheers ;)

I agree with the others, and I like the look of that balustrade - it's plain and simple, which looks much more stylish than turned spindles these days. That wood is not the typical cheap 'knotty' pine that many use, which I would have recommended painting.
Remember that it's easier to apply paint at a later date than it is to remove paint to get back to a wood finish.

It appears there could be a few fillets missing from the underside of the handrail. If so, make sure you get the same timber to put in there, otherwise it will always stand out when oiled/waxed/stained.

Great advice mate and many thanks. What would people recommend that I finish the wood with. I seem to recall that everything had been finished other than the areas that they proposed to paint.

I've attached a further image. The staircase is concrete with wooden clad. The areas that I marked in red I assume that these would need to be painted - I propose to paint this area white and wondered what paint I should use to avoid yellowing.

Many thanks again all.

Devs.

Attachments

• Q40A6218 2.jpg
    Q40A6218 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 184
It looks like MDF to me so painting it white is probably the best option as, although it can be stained to some extent, MDF never ends up looking like real wood.

Use water based paints to guarantee a non-yellowing finish - a suitable primer followed by water-based satinwood would be preferable. As for a brand, I can't really recommend one available in the UK these days, as I don't use them here in Trumpland! :D

Re the areas of red I would give it a coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 then whatever colour takes your fancy - you may even get away with what ever emulsion you use on the walls as that's a pretty large area to paint with wood paint...however as misterhelpful states (if you go for wood paint) you want to go with a water based one to avoid yellowing - I've recently tried the Armstead quick dry satinwood and to me it's miles better than the dulux equivalent.

Morning gents thats great advice and just what I wanted to know! Chud, I plan to use Diamond Matt in White on the walls. Would it be okay to apply over the Zinsser Bullseye?

Morning gents thats great advice and just what I wanted to know! Chud, I plan to use Diamond Matt in White on the walls. Would it be okay to apply over the Zinsser Bullseye?
Yep should be fine...if a bit pricey - dunno about trade prices but it's nearly twice as expensive as vinyl matt in my local Brewers!

I would be inclined to coat the timber with danish oil. It will soak into the wood and not be subject to chipping (unlike varnish).

Word of warning tho'- if you use danish oil, do not scrunch up the cloths when you bin them. There is the risk of spontaneous combustion. I rinse mine in water and leave then laying flat outside over night.

Yep should be fine...if a bit pricey - dunno about trade prices but it's nearly twice as expensive as vinyl matt in my local Brewers!

Thanks guys, I've used Diamond Matt in my current house as I've got a couple of young kids that have a knack with white walls. Like you say the price is off putting and will be more so this time as the new house is pretty large at 4200sq ft.

My next question would be if there is an alternative white paint that could be retouched without flashing? Or if I did take the Diamond Matt route would I be able to use a cheaper white paint on the ceiling without a noticeable difference?

Cheers all, Devs ;)

Kids...yeah they can be hard on the walls!

To be honest I've only used diamond matt in places like hallways and where there's a lot of contact with hands etc - everywhere else gets vinyl matt. I've found so long as its the same colour code and you let the two paints meet at a corner etc then you cant tell the difference between them - I'm painting in off-white's though, it may be more noticeable with darker/stronger colours but you should be fine with white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back