Roof battens too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just done the roof battens for my extension and realised that the battens should span at least 3 trusses. I have two, which are only spanning two trusses at the ends. Do I need to replace these or is it fine?

They are currently secure and double nailed everywhere, so I don't really want to risk loosening nails and splitting timber etc. Alternatively, I could nail another batten below them that spans three trusses, but I don't know whether that would make a difference?

Sponsored Links
I've just done the roof battens for my extension and realised that the battens should span at least 3 trusses. I have two, which are only spanning two trusses at the ends. Do I need to replace these or is it fine?

They are currently secure and double nailed everywhere, so I don't really want to risk loosening nails and splitting timber etc. Alternatively, I could nail another batten below them that spans three trusses, but I don't know whether that would make a difference?
It will be ok as long as the batten cuts are nicely staggered.

Double nailed? :oops:

It will be ok as long as the batten cuts are nicely staggered.

Double nailed? :oops:
I didn't need to double nail them . I got mixed up with the bracing, which should be double nailed. My bats are the larger 50mm ones, so I managed to get the nails in ok, and it was pretty quick with a nail gun. At least I know they're secure

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back