Roof boarding.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm looking to overboard my flat garage roof before laying a new covering. I'm doing this because the roof currently has floorboards and if I use EPDM then they won't be much use.
I want to keep the boards as thin as possible because of where a cooker hood exit grill is located just above the roof level. Would 6mm ply sheets be ok to use or are they likely to warp?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, 6mm is far too thin , that would give you issues with drainage when it rains and cause pooling causing the roof to sag , same when it snows and you could never use ladders or stand on your roof as you would in all likely go straight through it

Why do you want to keep it thin because of an extract pipe that doesn't make any sense , it's no different cutting a hole in 25mm board as it is cutting one in 6mm board

Sounds as if the grille comes through the wall rather than the roof...
Ideally your 'flat' roof should have some fall towards the guttering (or drainhole if you've got parapet walls).
That grille will be a pest to weather as well, how much of a chew would it be to lift it by 200mm or so? Other options are going to look odd and be a pain to weather

6mm ply is too thin, you won't get the edges to sit neat enough.
You need a minimum 11mm to overboard.

Sponsored Links
Your easiest way out is probably to lift the old felt and roof boards, that'll buy you enough depth to put some chunky boards down

I didn't get any alerts for this thread and thought I'd had no replies.
Thanks to everybody who did reply.
Sircerebus666: I was talking about overboarding the existing floorboards that currently form the roof. Not taking them off and replacing with 6mm ply which as you say I'd likely fall through.
Also the grill comes through the wall just above the deck. Obviously if I add more boards onto the existing then I'll have even less of a flashing then I have now which is only about 40mm below the grill.
Sounds as if the grille comes through the wall rather than the roof...
Ideally your 'flat' roof should have some fall towards the guttering (or drainhole if you've got parapet walls).
That grille will be a pest to weather as well, how much of a chew would it be to lift it by 200mm or so? Other options are going to look odd and be a pain to weather
The ducting for the extractor runs through the void formed by the kitchen ceiling and the upstairs floor. It then exits straight through the house wall to just above the garage roof deck. It will be impossible to lift it any higher for obvious reasons. I could half the size of the grill which would give me another 50mm or so.
I think I'll do what you said, completely remove the old deck and board it with 18mm osb. I'll be no worse off if I do that.

It will also give you the option of seeing what insulation you have, and whether or not you can improve it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back