1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Roof construction

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Ian59, 18 May 2019.

1. Ian59

Ian59

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is a photo of the roof mid replacement and there are a couple of pieces of wood from the purlins to the joists.

2. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hangers work with binders (those timbers across the top of the joists) to support and stabilise the whole set of joists. Normally at mid span of the ceiling joists but not necessarily, as they can go anywhere to prevent the joistls being over-spanned.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hangers and binders are used in traditional cut roofs as woody says to keep the ceiling joist depths to a minimum. Has somebody removed the binder timber from your roof ? It is a bit odd anyway if there is a loadbearing wall under the middle of the joists.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Ian59

Ian59

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi as far as I know there has nothing been removed from the roof. Can I ask what you mean by binder timber? Yeah there is a load bearing wall right under the middle of the joists. Its the wall that seperates the 2 rooms below and then separates the 2 rooms downstairs.
    Cheers

5. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A ceiling binder is a piece of timber laid across the tops (at 90 degrees to) of the ceiling joists and is there to supplement the ceiling timbers. Chunky binders can span wall to wall without support other need some help mid or 1/3rd span.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A binder would have helped under the purlin but now its been floored out I don't suppose it will matter much unless the floor is bouncy. I can't see any point in those vertical bits of timber.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Ian59

Ian59

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info. The floor isn't bouncy it feels pretty solid. I've only floored the main part and not gone further than the purlins I've added a couple of photos of the binders that are under the purlins and the extra supports I've attached to the binders from the purlins.
    Cheers

8. Ian59

Ian59

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Those struts under the purlin, fixed like that, are supporting the purlin (or doing nothing if the purlin is self supported by the bearings) and are not doing anything to support the ceiling.

10. Ian59

Ian59

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the binder is fastened all the way along to the joists and the supports are screwed to the binder then screwed to the purlins then they are supporting the ceiling. Or is that not right?

Cheers

11. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think what he's implying is that the supports should be screwed horizontally into the purlin and binder. In that way, the screws are in shear, whereas the way you have it at present is with the screws in 'pull-out' mode, in which they won't hold as much weight.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Ian59

Ian59

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah right I get it I will put some longer supports in that can be fastened as your diagram shows.

Cheers