Mono pitched roof design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single storey rear extension on my detached house with a mon-pitched roof - standard construction with slates on roof. I want to remove the ceiling joists and rebuild so the ceiling is to the rafters. I presume that to do this I will need to remove the current roof - joist/ rafter construction and redesign a new roof construction of just rafters (to include some velux type openings for additional light). Can anyone advise as to design/ size of timbers, etc. The basic dimensions of the extention is 2.36m across the pitch x 5m long (internal measurements). Also, will I need to submit loading calcs to Building Control or is this pretty basic stuff?

Sponsored Links
The work will require building regulation approval

You may also need a purlin or beam at mid or 1/3 span to counteract the lack of bracing which the ceiling joists would have otherwise provided to the external wall

So its not just a case of a particular sized rafter section

Thanks Woody - any idea where I can find how to spec what I need? Or would it be better to pay a professional to draw up the specs?

Sponsored Links
If you can find a copy of rafter span tables on line, then they may help. But I think that the requirements for a supporting purlin or beam (or none) may need to be designed or proved by a suitably qualified engineer or suchlike.

You could perhaps do a dimensioned sketch and have a word with the BCO for your area .... he may offer some advice on what would be acceptable, or you may just get a grumpy one and a glazed look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back