Mono Pitched Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong area wasn't sure if it should be here or in carpentry.

Could anyone advise please if they know any websites etc on how to construct a mono pitched roof,

I am building a small extension and require this to match up with the existing roof but due to financial constraints have to have a go at it myself as i cant afford a chippy.

The impression i have got at the moment is as follows,

1. 4x2 wall plate on inner leaf held down with frame ties.
2. 6x2 bolted to the existing building with M10 expansion bolts (Sorry dont know what that bit of wood is called).
3. 6x2 rafters at 400mm centres, birdsmouth at wallplate end and fixed to wood bit bolted to house.
4. 6x2 ceiling joists (do these just nail to side of rafters at wall plate end ??? how do the connect to existing building ???

And finally is there an easy way of finding the angle of the current roof to make construction of the new rafters easier ???

Cheers in advance
Stan.

P.S please use simple terms after all im aint a roofer or a chippy.

Sponsored Links
you can use a 4" x 2" wall plate, but 4" x 3" is the norm. this should be tanalised and is sold as such.

this will be held down with mild steel, bent galvanized restraint straps.

a 6x2 pitching plate sounds ok, or use a bearer plate which sits under the rafter ends as opposed to at the rafter ends. either is acceptable, although a pitching plate will need to be slightly deeper than the rafters in order to accommodate the entire plumb cut.

the joists are nailed along side the rafters, spiked through the rafter and spiked into the wall plate. configure the joists so that you catch the ceiling plasterboards at each wall end.

i use one of these to roughly find the pitch, or:

i draw a plumb or vertical line on the existing barge board or rafter and set my bevel to this mark, then use the bevel to mark my pattern rafter.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back