Roof corner repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Roofer has done a repair. Looks a bit flimsy to me. What do you think ?

He has arranged for decorators to come and paint it, but they are held up by the rain.

So in the meantime, I am wondering if there is anything that could be undertaken to improve what he has done OR is there a protective substance that I could apply before the decorators come and paint it over.

Help needed

Please see "before" and after "pictures". Thanks, Zena

1. Before repair Oct 2019 .jpg Before repair

2. After repair, in moderate rain.jpg After repair, in moderate rain

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
ask around for a decent roofer. Cut your losses with the previous fellow. If he was capable of doing a proper job, he would have done.

Ask around for personal recommendations from people you trust.

Advertising websites, where people pay to be listed and can control the "customer reviews" that are shown, are not a good source. Even if they are disguised as recommendation websites. I bet you don't manage to get a review published about that bodge.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, this is a long post ... What should he have used ? ?Desperately need to get something in place before scaffolders collect their scaffolding, (after painters have finished).
Back story: Roofer did a good (small) job for me last year. He quoted for this job, offered to get scaffolders & painters he knows well & assured me it would be an excellent job. Sadly, ...and I know you're probably expecting to read this, ... I've already paid him for his work & just over half of the scaffolders' pay. I could go back to him, but cant see him accepting that it's not a good job on my say-so.
After reading what you say I'm thinking I should cancel the painters - he said they are excellent too !. At a pinch I can do the painting myself, (windows planned as well, becos scaffolding is up). But I'm not capable of replacing that piece - i know that sounds feeble, but I'm a female &, regrettably, over 70). Also I dont know what Material to use - Looking at it, it needs to be as thin as ply... Whatever, - it needs to survive wind, rain, sun... so I'd be extremely grateful for any ideas from this Forum - (even the justifiably sarky ones - because at least they add a bit of humour to what seems to be turning into a dismal story !) about what to use and maybe even where to get it ? Best wishes, Zena

The original "problem" appears to have been water damage, due to water coming down the roof and wetting the timbers in the area concerned.
The roofer has attempted to fix this by adding a flashing "dam" at the end of the existing flashing, to direct the water flow into the guttering.

However, it appears that he has not attempted to repair the rotted timbers but has merely added a cover-up in the form of some ply-wood!

It could be argued that the problem has been corrected and that all that is now needed is a "cosmetic" repair of the affected timbers.
(To do this properly it may be necessary to replace the timbers - which could be a costly exercise.)

If the water intrusion has been corrected, it may be sufficient to
clean away all the rotted parts of any timbers
apply an appropriate anti-fungal treatment
apply an epoxy resin coating to the timbers - to prevent further water penetration
apply a suitable epoxy or polyester "filler" to the timbers to build them up to the proportions of the original timbers - before they were rotted
sand down and
paint.

This could all be done by a knowledgeable "handy-man", with access to the appropriate products and tools.
However, all these steps may take several days (due to drying times) and the location adds to the problem.

A million thanks to Leofric, Woody - for wry comments that at least woke me up to the probable issues I've got. And especially to John D., & FrodoOne for extensive analysis & possible solutions. It's a worry if the internal timbers have rotted - but covering over ain't going to help, as you've indicated. You've given me a diagnosis & now I know I may need to get the scalpel out, for the timbers. When I looked at it myself, I did think the 'flashing dam' might not cope with the loads of water that stream down a roof valley - & that's another problem. Had a sleepless night (worried about burglars as well as roof & how to tackle the whole thing - they left the access ladder up -from ground floor- so I need to get that taken down). You've probably guessed that it's a town house, so being at 3 storeys doesn't help ... But you've given me a way forward with (1)anti-fungal, (2) epoxy or polyester filler, & (3) epoxy resin coating, ideas which I read this morning, so I feel much happier. I managed to have a brief chat at 7.30 a.m today, with a local roofer who, by chance, I saw getting into his car at that time, & he will look at it tomorrow (Monday) after he returns from a day away. If his analysis coincides with yours, then I may ask him if he will consider doing the job. Can't thank you all enough ... and still happy to hear from anyone else re: a suitable finishing surface, once the 'internals' have been sorted out, or, indeed, roofers you'd recommend in North London near North Circular. Will let you know how it goes .... I recognise you've invested a lot of time in helping me out ... Many, many thanks... Zena

assuming everything seen in your photo's is your house?

the "dam" can be googled as a "kickout diverter" - clear diagrams are available showing how its installed and how it works. after installation it should have been water tested before carrying out further repairs.

i dont think that's ply - i think its three or so fir boards that have been edged up together & covered with a laminate sheet.
The whole thing will have to come off and be repaired and waterproofed by a joiner experienced in remedial work.

OP, your first photo shows water damage to the verge rafter and soffit at that corner -
and possible damage in the soffit area behind the gutter and down pipe.
someone should go into the roof space or spaces and investigate.

the left hand fascia paintwork needs sanding down and re-doing.
any new materials should be pre-painted before final fixing.

OP, none of the above is a big deal its run of the mill repair work.
fwiw: the work or damage provides no open access to your property for burglars.

Last edited:
To be honest t looks like its been bodged before

The modifications made to the flashings are useful,
The gutter could be adapted better with a running outlet and a stop end rather than the stop end outlet fitted.
The piece of thin ply is a waste of time.
I would get a chippy up there to cut out the rot, a good one would at least preserve/prime any new timber ready for decs

Hello Bobasd: To answer your post: Brickwork is my house. White painted bit is next door. My house stands forward by about 2ft6" (76cm) (exterior measurement) from his. So the gutter on the white bit is his & "my" roofer said original build (in 2000) was built badly, with too short gutter, causing water damage to timbers. In view of Datarebal's post below, 'my' roofer may not be quite right in saying this.
Bobasd: Thanks for your additional (useful)info. I will go over that all again later.
But will go into roof space shortly & see what I can find/feel (re: rot). (Tks also for reassuring about burglar/ladder.)
Datarebal: you might be spot on about a previous "botched job" - which I feel I should have noticed. I've just found a 2016 photo: shows a single, long, diagonal piece of timber. Whereas the photo showing current rotten wood shows a small horizontal piece has been added ! I clearly need to be more vigilant about any work done (& who does it) ! I attach 2016 + previously posted Oct 2019 photo to compare, so you don't need to refer back to original pix posted. Am asking friends for recommended joiner. best wishes & tx, Zena

Attachments

• fascia in 2016.JPG
    fascia in 2016.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 2. zoom to roof Oct2019 before  repair .jpg
    2. zoom to roof Oct2019 before repair .jpg
    259 KB · Views: 224
if you can speak to the scaffolders, there is a good chance that they will agree to leave it in place for a moderate charge.

Most of the cost is in erecting and removing, sometimes they leave it at one job until it is needed elsewhere, to save the trouble of transporting and storing it.

I once kept scaffolding for more than a month after the agreed date, and gave the scaffolder £50.

I don't know the rules, but I believe that scaffolders are supposed to attach a sign with their name and address, probably in case it falls down on somebody's head.

Fascia boards and the like are often covered with PVC panels, which are weatherproof, provided water can't get under or behind them. better than ply if exposed to rain. If I was putting a wooden piece up, I would rotproof and paint it before fitting (much easier on a trestle in the garden than when perched on a ladder)

I've just found a 2016 photo: shows a single, long, diagonal piece of timber. Whereas the photo showing current rotten wood shows a small horizontal piece has been added ! I clearly need to be more vigilant about any work done (& who does it) ! I attach 2016 + previously posted Oct 2019 photo to compare, so you don't need to refer back to original pix posted. Am asking friends for recommended joiner. best wishes & tx, Zena
Comparing the 2016 photo with the more recent one appears to show that a section of the original timber supporting the edge of the roof has been removed and replaced with plywood (or, at least, overlaid with plywood) which has since rotted.

(I did not realise this from the initial photos posted, so significantly more than the "cosmetic" treatments which I suggested may be required.)

Because of this "repair", it may be that this edge section of the roof is now unsupported and is in need of attention.

Last edited:
Its probably me, but i dont understand how the old pic and the recent pics and the present day pics fit together?
so, why not hold fire for the moment on getting in a joiner, and instead why not contact a Pvc fascia and soffit installer to have a look?
but first google pics of "Pvc fascia box end" to understand how much better things could be, & look, with custom Pvc parts.
the plastic laminate you see pinned on to some boards has no relation to custom Pvc parts.

your neighbour is, probably unknowingly, responsible for all and any damage to your property.

the only ply i can see is damaged ply in the box end pic?

OP, you could email this thread and photos to the joiner or Pvc people to give them a heads up before any site visit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back