roofing repair or replacement advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can I ask peoples advice on what I should expect when I ask a roofer to come and give me quotes for work that needs doing on my pitched roof. I only ask because I have needed small patches repaired over the last few years and I am not certain that the roofers I have used have either not repaired the problem or have created new problems as all of the repairs are within a few slates of each other.
They have not exactly told me what they have done on the roof I`ve only been able to look for daylight coming through from the inside of roof. So if possible I would like any advice on what I should expect when a roofer comes to quote for the work to be done, whether in your opinions the roof needs repairing or if it would be better to replace the whole roof.
I have taken some photo`s from ground level as I am not physically able to climb stairs or ladders due to my disabilities.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me, cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

you will probably find that the nails holding the slates have rotted out, and naturally its only going to continue.

slate roofs you need to be careful when doing repairs as the tiles break easily. not all roofer can do slate roofs.

i would probably say that to save calling people out yearly to do patch repairs, is to re roof it, but, you can re-use the tiles that come off, slates last almost forever.

whilst at it, i would also advise you to have the soffits and facias either painted or change to pvc so they dont rot out.

Thank you sxturbo,
I think it was built about 1936.
Thank you for your advice it is very helpful, cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back