Roof design and repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need help for roof design and repair.

I have a side extension and so has my neighbour having a joint party wall. These properties are built on a slight hill with the hill sloping towards my side. As a consequence of side sloping roofs with a box valley gutter in between the properties my property gets flooded with water if it rains heavily. Extra drain pipes to direct water from the main roofs directly into the gutter have helped but not completely.

My neighbour does not want any changes to the roof. A building consultant has said that a roof should be built inside so that there is an inner and outer roof, the outer roof being a sham roof. But i cannot understand this.

The pitch of the roof is low and is about 25 degree. The plain clay tiles that we have 35 degree requirement. The pitch cannot be raised on the top end because of windows. If the lower end is lowered further to raise the pitch then my roof will beccome even more lower than the neighbouring roof.

I have suggested that the party wall be raised to save my roof from the neighbours and then build a front to back roof in the front with a flat roof behind it so that the windows dont get obstructed. ( it is 7.5 metres long front to back)

Please tell me what can be done to solve the problem. I dont understand the way the building consultant has suggested as i think that while water may not come into the extension but will quietly destroy the inner roof eventually. Thanks.

seema

Sponsored Links
I think that u can made your roof with concrete materials.It protects from heat.another side u can also use tile that is also good for roof.If roofing design is slopping then flow of water will be easily.
Roofs made of concrete tile are the most durable types of roofs available. They are so strong that most manufacturers offer 50-year warranties.
These tiles are made from extruded concrete, which is formed under high pressure. Available in a large variety of shapes and colors, these tiles will last for many years, protecting your home from rain, snow and ice. They are even safe to walk on when making roof repairs or cleaning your chimney.

What your consultant is suggesting is lifting your roofing tiles, laying a flat roofing membrane counter baton then relay the tiles.

If the problem is the gutter and discharge from the neighbours roof, then that needs to be dealt with - and can be via work at the gutter

Yes it is correct that plain tiles should have a 35° pitch, otherwise a sealed felt layer beneath, but if that is not the issue, then it serves no purpose to alter your roof

Sponsored Links
if you are confused and have no idea about these types of stuff, why don't you consult with another company. i recently had some services provided by nationalscaffolding.com. have a look. may be they are helpful.

if you are confused and have no idea about these types of stuff, why don't you consult with another company. i recently had some services provided by nationalspammingcompany.com have a look. may be they are helpful.

Yes, there is nothing better than getting a poxy scaffold company to sort out your complicated leaking roof problem :rolleyes:

sounds like a properly constructed drainage system is required...I,m reading this as your garden gets flooded..not your house?
ps some clay plain tiles require 45 degrees

Zinc would be a perfect solution. A new box gutter could be formed in zinc to match the roof. Zinc roofs can go as low as 3 degrees. You would also receive a lifetime guarantee. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back