Roof Design - Any help or usefull advice appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forum newbie here!

I brought my 1960s house a year ago. The previous owner had a side extension put on to increase it from a 3 bed to 5 bed sometime in 1980s.
The whole roof is in a sorry state, the original concrete tiles have pitted and starting to break up. So its getting close to needing retiling. However, my other main concern is the pitch. It is a very low pitch design roof. But on the extension (right handside) it looks like a bodge from the front. Its a different pitch to the other side and as result has deteriorated as quick as the original roof as more moss has sat on the roof. We live close to woodlands and most of the older houses in the road have suffered the same problem with concrete tiles.

So i'm looking for any tips or advice. The house totally broke me buying it, so i don't have much money. But at the same time the roof needs to done right. View media item 63281
Any useful comments would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
clean off the roof and maintain it for a few years whilst saving to get it replaced.
Its a little hard to tell from picture but i think that the roof covering may be slate ;)

thanks for the reply.

lol. defo not slate.. Honestly we did think about cleaning and roof coatings to prelong the life. But the advice i got was that it could end up doing more damage than good as the tiles are breaking up and 50 yrs for roof is pretty as much as your going to get with concrete tiles from the 60s.

The difference in the pitches and the way its being altered in pitch on the extension makes it look very odd from the front.

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are nearing life end, and its not leaking, then just leave it and save up for its eventual renewal

I would not go on to an old tiled roof to do cleaning as you risk breaking fragile tiles.

Just keep gutters and valleys clear and if any major debris needs clearing, do what you can with a brush on a long handle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back